My first glimpse of a blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Currently, I have numerous blogs flagged in my Google Reader, and check it every morning. I follow a number of blogs. I look back and wonder how it is that I got here. Where did I even learn about half of these blogs?

Back in 2004, before blogging exploded into what it is today, I have to admit that I didn't really know what a blog was. But you know what? I was reading one.

At work one day, I was going through a recent copy of the Dallas Morning News, and I came across an article about a baby girl named Allie. I don't even remember the specifics of the article, but I know it caught my attention.

A baby girl fighting leukemia.

Her mother keeping family, friends, and strangers updated through daily posts on an "online journal." (Funny looking back on it; the word blog wasn't even being used.)

The article provided the URL to the journal: www.scotthousehold.com. I logged on, and found myself captivated by a tiny girl with big blue eyes and chubby cheeks. A happy, bouncing baby who had an all-out war going on inside of her little body.

On a slow day at work, I remember spending hours reading through all of the post archives, getting to know this family through Jenny Scott's words. After that, I kept tabs on the Scotts through Jenny's blog. Sadly, a few short weeks after I started reading, Allie passed away.

This Saturday will mark the fourth anniversary of Allie's death. And you know what? I'm still reading. Her mom now blogs over at Mama's on a Playdate. Since 2004, Jenny has been through a lot. Around January 2005, Jenny teamed up with another mother who had lost her daughter to leukemia. They started a non-profit organization called Heroes for Children, which provides assistance to families dealing with cancer in the state of Texas. Allie not only changed Jenny's life in the obvious ways... she also influenced her career. Prior to Allie becoming sick, Jenny was a teacher. Now, she celebrates as her hard work as a non-profit director results in Heroes for Children growing every single year.

Also in early 2005, Jenny announced on her blog that she was pregnant again. She gave birth to another baby girl, Maggie, in October 2005. I've watched her grow (she's almost 3 years old now!). Very strange to think about.

Through Jenny, I've also found some other blogs that I have been following regularly. Friends of hers, including:

- A bleeding heart liberal from Rhode Island, teacher, and mother of three, who now finds herself living in the heart of a red state. With a wicked sense of humor.

- A child/family photographer who is about to adopt a child.

- A mother of four, including a set of twins.

OH! And it's through one of them that I found one of my favorite blogs: Boobs, Injuries, and Dr. Pepper. Crystal makes me bust out laughing on a regular basis.

My weekday morning routine now consists of CNN.com, e-mail, and my Google Reader blogs. They are just a part of life now!

2 comments:

Tania September 9, 2008 at 3:54 PM  

I lurk on your blog and have loved following your life during the wedding planning and after. Would you mind if I add you on the followers on my blog?

Debbie September 12, 2008 at 12:52 AM  

You are so sweet! Its amazing how many people Allie has brought together.

And I was just commenting the other day to someone how Jenny's blog really was just an online journal. Crazy how fast times change!

I think I'm your fellow Boobs injuries and Dr.Pepper reader! I LOVE her!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP