Cinnamon Pancakes

Friday, February 19, 2010

Now that lent is upon us, the challenge of coming up with meatless dinners has begun. Thankfully, one of my favorites--breakfast for dinner--is usually meatless for us. Because my favorite breakfast for dinner dish? PANCAKES.

We had a can of apple pie filling in the cupboard, and I figured we'd cook up some plain pancakes and top them with the apples. However, I got to thinking... instead of plain pancakes, why not make pancakes with a complementary flavor for the apples? And of course, the next thought: cinnamon.

Because I mean... DUH.


I googled and found a lovely looking cinnamon pancake recipe right off the bat. We gave them a try and they are wonderful! They are fluffy, and have a great cinnamon flavor. They tasted fantastic with the apples, but were wonderful with just a little bit of maple syrup, too. We'll certainly be making these again very soon.

I doubled the original recipe because let's face it... six pancakes is just NOT enough. Also, I've found that leftover pancakes are really good if you pop them in the toaster to reheat, so I knew we wouldn't have a problem with a few extras. We got about 15 pancakes out of the recipe, but obviously it'll depend on the size of your pancakes!

Cinnamon Pancakes
(Source: Adapted from Sugarlaws)

Ingredients:
- 1 & 3/4 cups milk
- 2 cups plus 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted

Directions:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth.

2. Heat a frying pan or skillet on the stovetop. (Or use your electric griddle, if you have one!) Spray with cooking spray or grease with a little extra butter. Ladle out 1/4 cup of pancake batter at a time, and cook about 1 min on each side, flipping each pancake midway through.

3. Serve with maple syrup, honey, apple pie filling, or extra butter.

6 comments:

MMReef February 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

I love pancakes too. Cinnamon is one of my favorite but my most favorite ones is banana with cinnamon. Blueberry is at the top too..

Laura February 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

These sound really good! I will definitely be trying these very soon.

Katy March 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

This just popped up in my "links" page in Wordpress -- so glad you liked it!!!

Jacki July 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacki July 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

Have you tried making pancakes with whole wheat flour at all?

Heather July 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

Jacqueline--I have not tried that yet, though I do generally substitute all-purpose flour with some whole wheat flour in other recipes (such as breads). If you're interested in trying it, I wouldn't substitute more than half of the flour. So if the recipe calls for 2 cups flour, I'd maybe do 1/2-1 cup whole wheat, and the rest all-purpose. Let me know if you have good results!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP