DIY Maternity Photos

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Given that I follow a lot of photographers' blogs and am somewhat immersed into the world of professional photography, I've been seeing maternity photos on a regular basis for years now. I've always loved how they capture a moment in time--a snippet of that nine months when mommy and baby are still "one." As I've said before, I think there is much to cherish about pregnancy, and photos are an excellent way to remember what the time was like, even long after the pregnancy is over.

My problem is that I've never wanted to pay for maternity photos. It's not that I'm decidedly against doing so, it's just that I can't see myself forking over a few hundred dollars for photos of every pregnancy, and I'd feel badly having maternity photos for the first child and not for any subsequent children. I think half of the reason to do maternity photos is for the child to be able to look back at someday, knowing how his/her parents were anxiously and happily awaiting his/her arrival.

So, if not pay for them... what's a girl to do? Well, I started to think... I have a really nice camera, and perhaps a teensy bit of skill--and why pay for what you can get for free? The only issue was figuring out how I was going to be both in front of and behind the camera. At the same time.

Enter my husband into the picture. I told him that I was going to try to DIY some maternity photos with a tripod and the timer. He suggested that it would be even better if we went out together, and I could coach him to take the photos. Good call, Honey.

Last week, we went out on a couple of really nice evenings and snapped some pics. Here are our results:




39 comments:

Tiffany August 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

These couldn't have turned out more beautiful!

Cynthia August 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Heather your pictures are absolutely beautiful! I wish I had done something like that when I was pregnant.

Amy August 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

These are great!! I was in the same boat as you, we were going to get some done, timing never worked out! Yours are great! Great clothing choices too!

Blue&White August 10, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

Beautiful! Only a few short weeks till newborn photos ;)

Mama B August 10, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

Wow, the pictures came out great, Heather!! You have some serious DIY photography skills. ;)

Gretchen August 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

These turned out wonderful, you look great and I had that same maternity outfit :)

Megan August 10, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

You and the pictures are both beautiful!

Tiffany August 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

So cute! My favorite is the one looking up at you. :)

Gia August 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

You look great!!! Absolutely beautiful and glowing!

Sara August 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

Those are great. You did an awesome job. I love the black and white one by the bridge.

Heather August 10, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

Thanks, everyone! :)

Blue--I *KNOW*!! Can't wait to do newborn photos. In general, just can't wait to have a little peanut around on a regular basis to "practice" on. I'll have a built-in subject at home! Haha

lish August 10, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

Fabulous!! They are beautiful!

Noey August 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

Love it! My favorites are the first one of you and your husband and those last two of just you. They look gorgeous!

Anonymous,  August 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

LOVE the back to back one with Michael! and the first one! Nice work!

Sara August 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

nice job! I really like the last one.

Vanessa August 11, 2010 at 2:29 AM  

These are absolutely incredible! Heather,you have become a professional photographer! These are wonderful and you look amazing! Wow, I am seriously impressed by your skill.

Michelle August 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

They turned out great! The 1st one is my favorite.

Nadine August 11, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Very cute! You'd never know you didn't pay for them! Great job hubby! :)

Heather (Live.Love.Laugh.) August 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

These turned out great. I am going to have my mom try and take some DIY maternity shots of us before I hire a photographer,if we even need to after that.

Crystal August 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

Those are amazing! Great job! And I have to know where you got those jeans, they're super cute!

Moya August 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

Great Job! I love seeing pics of you & Michael together, Your child is going to have a killer smile!

Life of a Doctor's Wife August 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

Wow! Those turned out amazing! Love love love the one of you and your husband.

I never would have guessed these weren't fully professional shots!

B August 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

They're beautiful! glowing indeed :)

Juls August 11, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

They are amazing!! I love the one of the two of you back to back! You are definately glowing!

Hannah August 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

You and Michael did an absolutely wonderful job!! Congrats on your gorgeous reminder of this special time =)

Kim,  August 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Love the first one! They're all wonderful but that's my favorite. :o) Congrats!

~Jaime~ August 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

I LOVE the picture of you guys standing back to back. That is just beautiful.

Krystie August 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

Seriously. they turned out SO cute! good job!!!

Tania August 11, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

Those turned out great! I love the one of you laying in the grass and the one of you and Michael back to back. Great work!

Dana August 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

I really like the black and whites and the photos of you two together. What great keepsakes.

Emily+Anthony August 12, 2010 at 8:09 AM  

So cute!! Your husband did a great job, and you are totally glowing!!

Lindsey August 16, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

Beautiful pictures! Also, where did you get those jeans? They are adorable!!

Sara McCarty August 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Fantastic pictures! These are really great and completely look pro. I can't belive you DIY'ed these! This reminds me that I really need to teach my husband how to use the camera!

Heather August 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

Thanks again to everyone for the really lovely comments.

Lindsey--I know I'm a little late, but hopefully you see this. I got the jeans at Old Navy.

Anonymous,  September 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

Heather, what camera did you use for these pictures? They are amazing! -Megan

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP