Six Things You Wish You'd Never Done

Thursday, September 30, 2010

On to the next installment of this blogging exercise...

This one is hard. Generally, I try not to live with any regrets. But let's see what I can pull together.

Blog Activity, Day Five
Six Things You Wish You'd Never Done

I wish I would have never:

1. Quit playing an instrument. I played the piano when I was in elementary school, but it was forced on me by my mom (it's OK, Mom!) so it was "uncool" and I begged her to let me quit after a couple years of lessons. Instead, I picked up the flute in school and played in band until I was a sophomore in high school, at which point that became tremendously uncool and I quit that, too. I need to dig my flute out and see if I can even still play it... it's been so long. Even if I can play, though, I'm sure it's not well. So now, I regret that I can't play anything. I should've stuck with something!

2. Declined to study abroad in college. I didn't want to "miss out" on a semester at school, or an opportunity to work and earn money during summer vacation. Seriously, what an idiot. I so should've taken the opportunity to travel somewhere for a couple of months.

3. Gained weight between 8th and 11th grades. I felt so unattractive, and carrying around 30 lbs. of extra weight made an already difficult time of life even more challenging. My high school experience wasn't horrible by any means, but I think it would've been so much better if I felt better about myself. But who knows... the weight gain was the result of emotional over-eating and carelessness, so it's hard to say what came first--the chicken or the egg!

4. Lost touch with some friends over the years. I look back on my life and there are friends that I wish I was still friends with. So many great memories and it's sad that we aren't still "partners in crime," creating even more.

5. Been in such a hurry to finish college. I definitely ate up every moment of my college experience, but still, I was in a hurry to finish. I graduated in exactly four years, and I started my first job just a month after commencement. Given the current state of the economy and how much trouble college graduates are having, I feel lucky, but at the same time, I wish I could've relaxed and "lived" a little more.

6. Given up on my pregnancy journal. I'm so glad I kept up with the weekly blog posts once I started them, but I'm sad that I didn't keep up with the traditional, handwritten journal I started at the beginning of my pregnancy. I really want to be able to give Nora something some day, a journal that she can read and keep, and I'm upset that I don't have all of those entries in there as a start. Pregnant mommy FAIL.

6 comments:

Unknown October 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Girl, I wish I never gave up playing the piano, either!! My dad would make me go and I was just so tired because I was also going to dance classes almost every day. I think I probably gave up in the 4th or 5th grade, I can't really remember. I wish I would have studied abroad, too. But then I always think, well if I would have done something differently, would I be where I am now!? Have a great weekend! :)

Cynthia October 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

I played the flute too, from 3rd grade until about 7th I think. I gave it up because I thought it was uncool too. I wish I hadn't!

Jacki October 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

I really REALLY regret no going abroad during college either. Now I'm trying to figure out a logical way to disappear to Italy for a year! LOL

Heather,  October 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

I always wanted to play the flute! But my mom thought the french horn was a prettier instrument and she wanted me to be unique. Unique = outcast! But I totally agree now! Looking back if I kept up with it, it would be cool when people asked to say I play such a different instrument!

And I'm not sure if this is something you're interested in, but I know other girls have turned their blogs into a book for their kids: http://blog2print.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html

Anna October 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

You can always turn your weekly blog posts into a physical journal...I think snapfish or any photo product site can do it! You might want to look into that!

Wishing on stars October 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

I was also going to tell you that you can turn your blog into a book. The link comes up once in a while when I log onto Blogger. You can chose just the stuff you labeled "Pregnancy" and turn it into a printed out journal.

BTW I did a blog shout out for your blog on my own...

http://shootingstarsandfireflies.blogspot.com/2010/10/blog-shout-out.html

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP