Oreo Ice Cream Cake

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I first discovered this Oreo ice cream cake when Michael and I were still in college. I made it for him for his birthday during the first year we were together. Since then, I've made it at least another time or two, which is not nearly enough times, frankly.

I was feeling the need to dig this one out of the archives, so I made it to take over to my in-laws' this weekend.


A layer of crushed Oreos on the bottom makes the "crust," and a layer of ice cream (in this case, vanilla, but it could easily be jazzed up with a fancier flavor, if you so choose) gives this cold treat its name. Duh. A thin layer of chocolate syrup (could also be substituted by caramel sauce or butterscotch... holy hell that sounds good) separates the ice cream from the Cool Whip, which serves as the topping. Sprinkle some additional crushed Oreos at the finish, and you have yourself an easy, delicious dessert.

Once in the freezer, this has the tendency to disappear VERY quickly. You've been warned.

I have no idea where I originally got the recipe, as it was about 8 years ago. But here is a similar one.

Oreo Ice Cream Cake
(Source: Unknown)

Ingredients:
- 2 (8 oz.) containers Cool Whip, softened
- 1 (1/2 gallon) container of vanilla ice cream, softened
- Chocolate syrup
- 1 package Oreo cookies
- 2 tbsp. melted butter

Directions:
1. Crush Oreos. (You can crush them in a bowl or zip-loc bag using your hands or something heavy, or run them through your food processor.) Reserve 1/2 cup Oreo crumbles, and set aside for later. In the bowl of crushed Oreos, add melted butter and mix.

2. Spread Oreo and butter mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan, pressing firmly to form a crust.

3. Spoon vanilla ice cream on top of Oreo crust, spreading evenly.

4. Drizzle a thin layer of chocolate syrup on top of the ice cream.

5. Spread Cool Whip on top of the cake. Top with reserved Oreo crumbles.

6. Freeze overnight for best results. Remove from the freezer about 10-15 minutes prior to serving.

2 comments:

Amy March 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

YUM! This is very similar to the birthday cake my mom made me every year since I don't like traditional cake too much. On top of the vanilla ice cream she'd add a layer of hot fudge and peanuts too. Delicious!

Natalie March 23, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

My husband's family always makes this cake for birthdays! :) We've used coffee ice cream, pb cup ice cream, etc. And sometimes we go crazy with caramel and fudge! so good!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP