Negotiating = Maddening

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The past two days, we've been negotiating the terms of our contract with the sellers of our new house, based on the inspection report.

This morning, we got their counter-offer to our initial requests. And, well, our heads nearly exploded.

I might've freaked out on our realtor and I might've dropped off Nora at daycare in tears. (Tears were mine. Not hers.) If this process doesn't end up taking 10 years off my life, I will be shocked.

I could tell you all of the details, but it would take forever and most of you would probably find it to be extremely boring, so I'll just say that there are no MAJOR flaws with the house. No dealbreakers, anyway. Still, we were tempted more than a few times today to tell the sellers where to shove their offer and walk.

First, there are a dozen or so little nitpicky, "nuisance" items that are for us to take care of on our own over the years we'll live there. (And believe me, we are going to be living there FOREVER, because OHMYGOD we are never, EVER doing this again. Feel free to remind me of that if we ever get a wild hair and start discussing moving. Just say NO.)

There were also a few bigger things, things that were deemed officially "defective" by our inspector. So, we picked our top three priority things and sent them over to the seller, requesting that they address them. One of the things was addressed right away. Another thing was discussed, and determined to be OK (although we essentially had to concede without REALLY knowing for sure that it's OK). And with the third thing, well, the sellers decided to be assholes.

After long, drawn-out drama during which we argued with our realtor and sought several "sight unseen" estimates from electrician friends and acquaintances, we went back to the sellers and we ultimately got our way--at least on this one thing.

THANK GOODNESS.

There is not a single part of this process that has been "easy." It is unbelievable. I might be crazy, but I think that we have MAYBE paid our dues by now. I am praying to the real estate gods that they will send us a FREAKING BUYER for our place now. Amen.

4 comments:

Deanna June 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

have you asked for a mold report? I have had several friends not do this during inspection (they don't look for this in CA) and after they closed found mold and have had to spend enormous amounts of $$ to fix.... Hope all goes well.

Becky June 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

I don't wish buying a home on our worst enemy! We also had some problems with our inspection and it WAS a dealbreaker if they weren't going to address it. I cried and freaked out on our realtor to the point that I wouldn't even speak to her anymore. In the end, it was all taken care of, but it was a MAJOR PITA.

Michelle MGD June 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM  

I will be buried in my house because the process was so emotional. I hope everything works out in your favor. It will be worth it once you move in!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP