Christmas Best

Monday, December 19, 2011

We got Nora all dressed up to visit Santa, and then she was a complete pill about actually sitting in his lap. Hmph. Wouldn't you know she was in a great mood as soon as we got home?


She looked so cute in that fancy dress that I couldn't resist doing an impromptu photo shoot right there in our family room (despite the fact that it was well past naptime).

My little ornament thief (don't worry, they're cheap plastic ones) was quite the ham...

...see? If that smile doesn't say "cheese," I don't know what does.
As soon as I started snapping, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop, because *SWOON* the light was so terrific in there at that moment. (Note to self: Make it a point to take pics in our family room--in the late morning light--much more often.)

After procrastinating too long, I got Nora's Christmas dress really late this year. It was semi-difficult to find one that actually had sleeves on it (why so many sleeveless dresses for Christmas?). So wanting sleeves + the traditional holiday colors + waiting until the second week of December + needing a 12-month size = slim pickings. When we saw this one at Kohl's, we snagged it, as it was the last one in her size. And although it seems pretty ridiculous to spend money on a dress that she only wears maybe twice, I like the tradition of having small children dress up for visiting Santa and Christmas Eve Mass (and Easter, but that's obviously separate and requires a whole 'nother dress!).
Anyway, although it wasn't my first choice dress, it has grown on me and I think she looks pretty stinkin' adorable in it (yeah, yeah... bias). And look at her playing with her Little People Nativity Set again. Love it!
My girl is getting to be so grown up. *sniffle*

Did you get dressed up for Christmas when you were growing up? My mom always bought us dressy clothes; I still remember some of the dresses. Moms: Do you dress up your kids for the holidays? Are you like me, trying to find every excuse for them to wear it more than once? This won't be the last time you all see Nora in it, I assure you. :)

Only five days left until Christmas! We still have some shopping to finish up... AHHHH!

10 comments:

Stephanie December 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM  

She looks adorable! We had the same struggle finding Grace a dress, although we ended up with a short sleeved one. I got the last one at JcPenney in her size! She's worn it to see Santa and will hopefully wear it a few more times before I have to pack it away.

Kelsey Winter December 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM  

We always had special Christmas clothes and I'm continuing the tradition with my daughter. I'm getting a lot of wear out of Christmas dress this year... we used it for our Christmas card photo and now she's wearing it to 3 different holiday parties. I refuse to let such a pretty dress only be seen once!

Rachael December 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM  

Oh my goodness! I stand by my previous statement that she looks so much like a little "Cindy Lou Who"! She is so sweet!!

I found Natalie's dress at Sears, but it's all little easier for a 3 month old size to be found...She will wear it when we go see Santa on Wednesday! (She's already had one set of photos in her "I love Santa" tutu)

Mom used to dress us up for my dad's army reserve Christmas parties. But I think that was mostly because they have a photographer there to take family photos as well as Santa Claus. Gosh, those are good memories!

Sending you sunshine,

Rachael

Ashley December 20, 2011 at 1:06 AM  

I remember my mom would go to town, typically sears, and would come home with 4-5 dresses for me. I'd have to try each one on, and she'd pick one. They always had the itchiest, scratchiest crinoline, and I always had to wear white tights.... I HATED it! I was such a tom boy, it was pretty much the only time she could get me in a fancy dress!

Vanessa December 20, 2011 at 4:27 AM  

I wasn't dressed up with a specific Chanukah dress, but I remember as a child that my parents dressed me up in dresses all the time, and I loved it.

It is a Jewish tradition to buy new clothes before important holidays - I will do the same one day with my kids.

I think it's a shame that nowadays noone gets dressed up to go to Church etc - I think it's very special to make an effort and get dressed up...

Vanessa December 20, 2011 at 4:27 AM  

and how could I forget? Nora looks absolutely adorable in her dress!

Kayla December 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM  

I've been reading your blog since Road to the Aisle and it's amazing how time as flown by. I feel like I know you. Nora is such a cute little girl. I can't wait for my first- due summer 2012! :) Merry Christmas!

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife December 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

We definitely had Christmas dresses and we were only allowed to wear them on Christmas. I think my parents feared we'd destroy them if worn a moment before Christmas (they were probably right). These were the only clothes that didn't get passed down (at least that I remember). We always had a new Christmas dress every year.

I also have a Christmas dress for my daughter and she's worn it for photos and that's it. Now that you mentioned an Easter dress I'm going to keep my eye out for one.

Giana December 20, 2011 at 10:34 PM  

Nora is soooo pretty.. especially in that christmas dress.

tutu dresses for toddlers April 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM  

She looks adorable! Love that tutu dress, so cute!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP