Pearly Whites

Sunday, November 6, 2011

I'm told you're supposed to start brushing your kid's teeth pretty much as soon as they come in. So, well, we're about 3-4 months behind, but... whatever. Nora still only has four teeth, so I'm not really sweating it.

But recently, Nora's been showing a lot of interest in what we're doing when she sees us brushing our teeth. Within the last few days, she has even gone so far as to open her mouth when she sees us with our toothbrushes.

We decided to take advantage of her interest and pick up a toothbrush for her while we were out today. I stood in the toothbrush aisle for about five minutes, overwhelmed by the choices for toddler/children's toothbrushes and toothpaste. I narrowed it down to three choices, held them out for Nora, and let her choose. She picked Elmo. I grabbed the "matching" toothpaste and we were on our way.

Tonight, after her bath, we introduced toothbrushing into Nora's bedtime routine. She looks thrilled in this photo, doesn't she? (She was really tired. Daylight savings time is THE SUCK.)
She looks a little unsure here, but she was loving it.
Checking herself out in the mirror. :)


 
Once her teeth were brushed she had eaten all the toothpaste, we would've normally been done, but we went back for Round 2 so we could also get it on video camera. Silly parents.

Of course, it was only after she had eaten two "pea-sized" portions of toothpaste that I actually looked at the back of the tube (I was trying to figure out the flavor). Come to find out, this particular brand of toothpaste (Crest Kids) is for children and adults aged 2 and up, and is not supposed to be swallowed.

I'm so glad I spent five minutes in the toothbrush/toothpaste aisle, only to come home with the WRONG KIND OF TOOTHPASTE anyway. *sigh* What the heck! I guess I fell for the marketing on the tube, which featured Elmo and Abby Cadabby. That crap was expensive, too. Damn it. So now we'll have to go back and get her a tube of the completely edible toddler-safe stuff.

How old were your kids when you started brushing their teeth? Are they good about it? How many times a day do you brush them?

9 comments:

Andrea November 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM  

My daughter is a little shy of 11 months, but we've been brushing her teeth for a few months (she has 10 teeth total right now). We brush morning and night and {gasp} don't use whatever the toddler safe toothpaste is either. My dentist just told me to use something that has fluoride in it.

She loves brushing her teeth and usually the way our routine works is either my husband or I actually brush them first with the toothpaste, then we rinse off the toothbrush completely and let her 'brush' them. This way she isn't swallowing anything and of course her turn is where she seems to find the most enjoyment.

Tiffany November 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM  

I had to laugh at the toothpaste part... but only because I did it too! Luckily (for my bank account) Dan noticed before we left the store. ;)

We started brushing when he got his first teeth, but just with water. We brush nightly as part of his routine (mommy gets a turn first to make sure they're clean, then he gets a turn) and most mornings I let him brush as I do my own. Sometimes we forget the mornings because I'm already up, but whatever.

Love the pics! :)

Erin November 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM  

We've been brushing Annie's teeth since her first 2 teeth were fully in, maybe around 9 months old. We just do once a day, just with water, after she has milk and before bed. Often in the mornings she wants to brush her own teeth too, but at night it's always one of us doing it for her.

Megan November 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

I love the second one she is looking at you like 'what in the world are you doing....'. Amazing how much they trust us, huh?

Heather,  November 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

I don't remember how old my son was when we started brushing his teeth. He already had a few. But I remember that I started because I noticed that he was beginning to have some serious morning breath! Haha

He tolerates it, but doesn't enjoy having his teeth brushed, especially the top teeth. And we brush morning and night.

PhaseThreeOfLife November 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM  

We just use water - I'd skip the toothpaste altogether until she's 2. Makes life easier! Ryan still isn't a huge fan of this, so I usually only manage to get a couple swipes before the lips are clamped shut. ;)

Amanda November 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

Ok, I love this. You are one of my very favorite bloggers and I just posted a very similar post. And my Ellie has those PJs too :) Nora's hair is getting so long!

http://www.10yearslaterblog.com/2011/11/brushing-baby-teeth.html

Heather November 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM  

Thanks, all!

Last night, I brushed her teeth just with water (thanks to your suggestions, of course), and Nora actually reached for and motioned toward the toothpaste! I guess she liked the little tastes of it she got the night before. :)

Tara W November 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

Kira had about 5-6 teeth by her first birthday (9/22/11). She's been brushing since the first 4 came in which were her top two & bottom two fronts. Our journey started when we were at the dentist for our check up when I asked the dentist, when Kira should see a dentist/start to brush.

He began to tell me all the stuff about brushing, that they should go to the dentist between 3-4 years old so they begin to get used to the surroundings at a young age so they aren't ever truly scared of the dentist...same stuff you usually hear.

He gave us Aquafresh Training- he gave us enough of a stash that we haven't had to buy any yet thankfully lol. It's for children 3months-24months, edible & comes in some great flavors like banana & apple. Kira LOVES brushing her teeth with the stuff ha-ha. Which is great because we're up to about 10 teeth.

Good luck on your brushing adventure! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP