Frigid

Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh, Mother Nature. Have mercy on us. Please.

It's our third full day of living in the arctic tundra. It is so cold, I don't even know how to describe how it feels to be outside in it. Let's take a look at the current numbers, shall we?


Um, yeah. "Feels like" -14 degrees. I'll tell you one thing: I believe it. When I walked from the parking lot into my office this morning, I pretty much wanted to cry. It was just that cold. Adding to the misery is the fact that we're experiencing 20-30 mph winds, with wind chills reaching down around -20 degrees.

If you've never experienced cold like this, I can tell you right now--YOU DON'T WANT TO. It is cruel, it is bitter, it is frigid. You can't take deep breaths. The smallest gusts of wind take your breath away. Larger gusts of wind? Suffocating. It's just miserable. Completely and utterly wretched.

I can't wait to get home again tonight. Bundle up in some pajamas and slippers, and bake! Then curl up with the space heater, a blanket, and a cuddly little dog. And hibernate until this cold snap is over. I'm not asking for much; just hitting 20-30 degrees would be a huge relief.

There is just one thing left to say: Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

13 comments:

Gia January 16, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

We have had two days off in Cleveland because of the cold. All of Northeast Ohio has off of school today!

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

At least we're not in Wisconsin, where it's -29 without wind chill!

YIKES!

Ellen Mint January 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

Well I can say that the warmer weather is heading your wayish.

After being subzero for a few days we just got some snow and climbed all the way to 10.

Unknown January 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Brrr is right...it's the kind of cold when you breath through your nose your nostrils form ice crystals. Sounds like you need a warm fire place and some hot cocoa!

Robin January 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

I feel your pain. It was -14 according to my car's thermostat this morning :( My fiance wants to go out tonight b/c its his birthday.... I was like really?!? Are you sure??? LOL!

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

Well then, I suppose I shouldn't tell you that it's going to be 80+ degrees in CA today and this weekend, we are thinking of going to the beach! Sorry!

Becky January 16, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

Yup...cold in Chicago. We are at -17 before wind chill. I think it is suppode to be a high of -1 today. Everywhere is closed...except for my work. DARN! Keep warm!

Courtney January 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM  

I know exactly how you feel. It was -30 (without the wind chill) when I woke up this morning and it hasn't gotten much warmer... :( I'm ready for Spring!

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Yep!!! We were like that yesterday here in Iowa only colder, UGH! I hate being cold. We had -20 yesterday with a 5mph wind and it made it feel like -30. But I gotta say, we are suppose to warm up to 40 degrees next week! That's going to feel like 90 degrees compared to this.

jenn January 16, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

Yeah, its cold in WI. The kids got off two days in a row for a cold day. It is supposed to be nicer this weekend (Meaning high teens) just in time for snow!

katy January 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

It was -12 yesterday in central Illinois with a wind chill of around -40. I really can't wait for spring.

Anonymous,  January 16, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

Holy Moly, you all really have me convinced NOT to move out of CA! I can't imagine, it being that cold anywhere except at the North Pole!

Laura January 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

it was 29 degrees here today. for tennessee, that is extremely cold. i was born in massachusetts and lived there until 1993, so i know what real cold is like. they cancelled schools here because it was "cold" if you can believe it.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP