Thirty Eve

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Today is the last day of my 20s.

I'm not really one to freak out over such things, but I have to admit that it's kind of surreal. My age has begun with a "twenty" for quite some time now. Twenty-one... Twenty-five... Twenty-nine. And tomorrow, it'll just be... thirty.

30.

How different.

I think I've accomplished everything I always dreamed of accomplishing in the decade of my 20s. I graduated college. I've been gainfully employed--in three different jobs--within a career that I really enjoy most of the time. I met and married a good man. I bought and sold a condo. I had a beautiful baby, thus becoming a mother. I bought a house. I've taken many vacations and spent many hours laughing with good friends and family.

It's been a good decade, y'all.

I know that thirty is not old. To an 8-year-old--or even an 18-year-old--yes. But in the grand scheme of life, thirty is still very much young. In my eyes, I have nothing to complain about. Still, it is odd to remember so well things that happened in high school and realize that it was 12-15 years ago. Or reminisce with a friend how our friendship first began in 7th grade social studies class and realize that was 18 years ago. Or how first grade was 24 years ago. I mean, how is that even possible?

I had a coworker tell me today that thirty is when you really figure it all out. "Thirty is when true confidence comes," she told me. In that way, thirty feels empowering.

I don't know what the next decade will bring. All I know is that when I think back on the transition from my teens into my twenties, and compare it to now... life has changed. A lot. So I can't even begin to imagine what "Forty Eve" will look like, ten years from this moment. I have much to look forward to. In that way, my thirties sound exciting.

I've tried to bid a fond farewell to 29. I kept trying to think of an excuse to say, "I'm 29" today--for one last time--but it wasn't easy to work it naturally into conversation. So you know what?

I'm 29.

And tomorrow, I'll be 30.

7 comments:

basebell6 August 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM  

happy birthday tommorrow! i turned 30 in june and it was very traumatic! glad you are going into it optimisitic. ;)

Jessica,  August 16, 2012 at 7:30 AM  

Happy Birthday Heather!!! I am turning 30 on Saturday!!

Erin August 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM  

Isn't it funn how 30 feels so much more monumental than 20? I am also on the "verge" of that new decade, and am really looking forward to what life brings. Happy Birthday!

Phase Three of Life August 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM  

I turned 30 a few months ago and I have already found what your co-worker said to be true. I actually just blogged about this the other day. I've been hit by all kinds of realizations about myself and what I want out of life and I am suddenly feeling more comfortable in my own skin.

Meegs August 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM  

I just turned 30 yesterday, and I'll say, welcome... it feels great!

Happy Birthday!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP