Ketchup Day

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It has been a really, really long time since I've done a "Ketchup Day" post. But as I sit here and think about what it is that I want/need to write about, it is a hodge-podge of stuff so I was having trouble coming up with a title. Then it occurred to me--it's Ketchup Day. Because I'm catching up, you know.
____________________________________

We made the leap and ordered CORK FLOORS for our entryway, kitchen, and half bath. I am still so nervous about the whole thing, because this wasn't an easy decision. It is the largest investment we've made in our home so far, and I just really, really want to love it when it's all said and done.

Obviously, in an ideal world, I think we'd all love to have gorgeous, continuous flooring all throughout our homes. But we're not dealing with a new build; our house is 40 years old. An "open floor plan," we do not have. We wouldn't have been able to match our existing hardwoods in a way that was satisfactory or affordable for us, so we had to look at other options. We couldn't get behind the idea of tile, so... we're taking a chance on the road less traveled with the cork.

And, well, I'm shaking in my boots about it. It's just such a huge change. But I haaaaate the current parquet, so I figure that at the very least, it has to be an improvement. Right? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but nothing really is.

Here are the photos of the floor I shared when we were going through the process of debating and deciding:

{Cork with our existing hardwoods--which are staying--in the dining room and formal living room/playroom. There will be a transition strip here, just as there would be if we had done tile.}
{Cork next to our carpet that we have just in the family room}
{Cork with the white of our cabinets and with a peek of our countertops}

The floor is scheduled to be installed (by a pro) the week of August 20th. We have a lot of prep work to do leading up to it, including as much demo of the old floor as we can manage on our own. Every square foot of it that we rip up ourselves saves us like $2 or $2.50 so YEAH.

Here's hoping that the cork is everything we dream it will be!
____________________________________

The Olympics have made me a completely worthless human being. Seriously, if I'm not working or taking care of/playing with Nora, I have my ass parked on the couch in front of the boob tube. It's addicting; I can't turn it off.

I have always loved the Olympics, especially the summer ones. I still vividly remember watching the '96 games while we were at my dad's for the summer. I was 14 and just obsessed! It was so cool back then to have them in the States here; I'd love to have them back again. The worst thing about being in a different time zone from the games is THE SPOILERS! I feel like I can't go anywhere without seeing something Olympics related so I've been staying away from all news sites. And I find it to be completely obnoxious when people announce stuff on Facebook.

I can watch pretty much any event, but my favorites are swimming, gymnastics, diving, the track and field events, and volleyball. I have to say that I'm pretty sick of hearing about the decline of Michael Phelps, but it's nice to see the other American swimmers succeed. And the women's gymnastics last night? Incredible. I cried.The lack of sleep is surely going to catch up with me at some point but for now I am hanging in there. So far, the late nights have been worth it!
____________________________________

We had a mini family reunion of sorts on Sunday. My cousin and her husband were visiting from Shanghai (where they currently live), so my mom invited a bunch of our extended family members over to her house for a barbecue.

We had great weather and my cousins brought all of their kids, so it was a lot of fun to see all of them run around together. There are five kids who were all born within 20 months of each other, and it was hilarious to see them all interact. I get such joy out of seeing my girl with other kids, because she just seems to love them so much.

{Jake, 18 months & Nora, 22 months}
{Nora, 22 months & Logan, who will be 3 in September. I love the way Nora is looking at her!}

{Ring Around the Rosie}

{The Toddler Club + Michael}
{We also did a big birthday cake for my grandma, who turned 80 in April}

It was one of those perfect summer days that for some reason reminded me a lot of my own childhood. Kids running around outside having fun all day... I didn't want to go home!
____________________________________

On a final note, I can't believe it's August already. I love summer so much that I'm not ready to begin even thinking about the end of it yet. But I know that before we know it, we'll be welcoming football, apple picking, and crisp mornings and evenings back into our lives. I do love fall; I just don't like what comes after it.

Here's to making the most of the rest of the summer. Cheers to tank tops, shorts, flip flop tan lines, bare feet, sidewalk chalk, cold beers, and sleeping with the windows open!

3 comments:

Kari August 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM  

Fall=Football for sure!! I know we both appreciate that!! Maybe my team will win more than 2 games this season? I'm not used to this whole 2 win season thing....we were just sucking for Luck, right? RIGHT! ;)

Melanie,  August 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM  

I can't wait to see how the new floor looks! Nora is heartbreakingly cute in those pictures. What a sweetie.

Vanessa August 5, 2012 at 7:03 AM  

I love the flooring you chose and am sure you'll be happy with it!

And I too am LOVING the Olympics! It's so cool having them here in London, though sadly, at 38 weeks pregnant, it's probably a bad idea to attend...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP