Observation is Key

Friday, August 26, 2011

Nora is my baby, y'all.


She may be approaching the big "1," but let's face it: She still drinks breastmilk. She eats pureed foods. She can't walk, wears diapers, and sleeps in a crib. SHE'S A BABY.

But lately, it has become increasingly obvious that she's more than that. Her brain? is a sponge.

It started when she busted the word "Tessa" out of nowhere.
Then she started giving kisses.
And waving bye-bye.
And throwing tantrums when things don't go her way.

You know, all of these things that are "big girl" things. So, I suppose I should not have been surprised by her latest display of cognitive development.

I was standing by the door last week, talking to my mom on the way out, and was letting Nora play with my keys. (I never *used* to let her play with my keys, because yuck, GERMY KEYS! but it keeps her quiet and happy these days and that's a winner in my book.)

On this particular day, Nora was REEAACCHING from my arms and I honestly was not paying much attention, because she's quickly becoming a toddler, and toddlers don't want to be in your arms. Reaching is normal. Suddenly, though, my mom stopped the conversation and said, "Look at her. Look what she's doing."
Nora was trying to put the key in the lock on the door. She dropped the keys, I gave them back to her, and observed. She used both hands to separate the keys, singling out just one of them, then positioned it the right way in her hand. Sure enough, she then reached out toward the door knob and tried to put the key in the lock.

I mean, seriously. Are you kidding me with this kid?

No one ever TAUGHT her that keys go in the lock. But every time we come and go, we're holding her while we lock or unlock the house. Observation is key. (BWAHAHA, oh I kill myself.)

I'm not claiming that my little Noo Noo is smarter than the average bear. Rather, it is in times like this that I have a little OH-MY-GOSH-WHAT-HAPPENED-TO-MY-BABY? kind of hysterical mommy moment. Because the growing up? It is happening too fast.

4 comments:

Dana August 26, 2011 at 9:30 PM  

That is good to note. They pick up every little thing that they see and hear.

basebell6 August 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM  

we had a similar key moment when my grandpa told blaine to "start up the tractor" and he grabbed hold of the keys in the ignition. hilarious! he can also pick out the car key from the 4 keys i have on my chain and insert it in the ignition. bad bad things, these kids watching too closely. ;)

Kimberley August 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

she's a genius! :) has she held the phone up to her ear? now that's hilarious! :)

PhaseThreeOfLife August 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM  

Oh that is just TOO precious!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP