Trial by Fire

Monday, March 15, 2010

My first day at the new job was pretty insane. It was unlike any other "first day" I've ever had, that's for sure.

Usually, you kick back, get acclimated with your new workspace and computer, meet with HR, fill out a trillion forms, shake a lot of hands, and putz around for most of the day. In fact, in my past experience, that's really how the first week goes.

Not for me. Not here. Not today!

I got a call from my new coworker last night at about 8:00 telling me that I actually needed to be at work an hour early this morning. Yikes! It was fine, and it's not something that will happen often, but it was still quite an interesting way to start things off.

Plus, I had to wear a suit. But it was also fine and won't happen very often. It would've been more fine if my suit pants still fit. HA! Well, I could button them, but not comfortably. I totally had to bust out the Bella Band today. :) My suit pants never had a lot of wiggle room in them, so it makes sense that they are the first to be sacrificed to the growing baby belly. (I'm still not officially "showing"--still waiting for that to happen!)

Anyway, I was out of the office at the special event until around 11:00 a.m., when we finally went back and I was actually able to sit down at my new desk. I had enough time to catch up on my (already full) e-mail inbox before my coworker and I headed out for lunch. Back to the office a little before 2:00, and it was time for training with IT, meetings with HR, and then a meeting with my coworker so she could hand off a bunch of writing assignments. Assignments that are due Wednesday. Awesome. (Truly.)

I'm not used to being so busy! For the past 3.5 years, I've grown accustomed to the slow pace that was my old job. I like the feeling of being occupied again. It certainly made the day go by faster.

Everyone I've met seems really great and I'm excited. Oh, and probably the best thing I found out today--my new company offers short-term disability insurance coverage! Can I get a "WOOHOOO"? I'll pay a small amount out of every paycheck to cover the premium, and when I'm on maternity leave later this year, I'll get paid 60% of my salary. I repeat, WOOHOOO! I was going into it expecting for the entire leave to be unpaid, so this was fantastic news.

For those who asked or may have been curious, my new company was fully aware of the pregnancy prior to my taking the job. Even though I knew I wasn't required to tell them in advance, I felt badly entering a job with what I felt was such a big secret. I told up front, and I'm so glad that I did! They have been really great about it. I'm lucky to have entered such a supportive environment.

I couldn't sleep last night. I think it was a combination of being messed up from daylight savings and being anxious about starting the new job. I couldn't shut my brain off. Couple that with the fact that I had to get up an hour early and I am TIRED! I'll be ready for bed tonight, that's for sure.

Tomorrow: Day 2! :)

6 comments:

Christine March 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

yeah! It's nice being busy. My job just started offering short-term disability insurance - and you could not already be pregnant to sign up and receive benefits - so just check the fine print first! good luck.

Heather March 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

Thanks. Yeah, I was under the impression that you needed to be paying into a short-term disability policy for 1 year prior to needing to use it for maternity leave benefits. But my HR rep told me that because I'm a new employee, I'm eligible. I will have to double check the situation, but that is what he told me! :)

Miss. C March 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

I am so happy for you!! That is GREAT!!! Being busy does make the day go fast!

MB March 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

I'm glad you had what sounds like a great first day! I hope it only gets better!

And great news about short-term! My paycheck lists it as "STD" and I get a good chuckle every so often. :)

Vanessa March 16, 2010 at 3:11 AM  

That's great news, Heather! Such exciting changes happening! And I had to smile at your trousers feeling tight - again, so so happy for you! Hope day 2 goes just as well!

Jen March 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Sounds fun! Glad you had an exciting first day :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP