32 Weeks: Not Wine, But Whine

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I think I've been a really "positive" pregnant woman. When people ask me how I'm feeling, I always say "really good," and "great." In truth, I haven't had much reason to complain about anything. Aside from the anticipation of meeting our little one, I've enjoyed pregnancy and have even made a point to try not to wish it away.

SO... would it be horrible if I whined a little today?

Ever since--oh, I don't know... Friday?--something has shifted and things have changed.

First, let's observe:


32 Weeks Pregnant

Is it just me, or am I all of a sudden carrying this baby REALLY high? I feel like my ribs have been invaded. And that, my friends, is the source of much of my complaining these last few days. There's a general discomfort associated with having your organs squished up into your rib cage, along with an active baby who likes to practice somersaults in there. Shocking, right?

My totally comfortable, love-them-so-much full-panel maternity pants? Not so comfortable anymore. Not really loving them at the moment. The elastic band at the top of the panel cuts into the top of my belly (again, because it is SO HIGH), but if I fold it down, it feels like it cuts into the bottom of my belly. This is a no-win situation, I feel. The only solution, it seems, is to live in dresses and skirts for the next eight weeks. Not easy to do when you only have three dresses and two skirts.

Oh, and let's talk about my bra. My bra has turned into a torture device. I wish I was exaggerating. These bras that I bought in April to accommodate my growing pregnancy boobs, and thought would last until I had to switch to nursing bras? NOT SO MUCH. Because of this baby's migration up into my ribs, my rib cage is seemingly expanding, and the bra band, even on its loosest hooks, digs into me and makes me feel like I am wearing a corset around my ribs ALL DAY LONG. I just about cried last night when I went into Target to buy bra expanders only to find that they were completely out of stock. (I went and checked again today, and they were out again. *sob*) And let's not forget about the underwire! The underwire is taking up permanent residence in the skin at the top of my belly. At this rate, I think it's eventually going to leave permanent marks.

The problem is that I can't stand NOT to wear a bra, either. (Um, just to be clear, I'm talking about at home. I wouldn't subject poor, innocent members of the general public to the sight of THAT, I assure you.) So I suffer all day, right up until the moment I'm about to crawl into bed for the night. At that point, I can't even tell you how good it feels to be free of the constriction of the band and the discomfort of the underwire.

As if all of these developments haven't been enough to deal with over the last couple of days, I think it's time to officially retire my engagement/wedding rings. And maybe I'm hormonal, or maybe I'm just a sap, but it makes me want to cry because I *LOVE* my rings. Yes, I know they're just material possessions and don't actually mean anything when it comes to my marriage but I *LOVE* to wear them and I *HATE* my naked fingers.

*deep breath*

OK, now you can start to ship me mass quantities of cheese (cheddar, please!) to go with all of my WHINE. Because I know! I know I'm being a crybaby, and I'm only going to get bigger and more uncomfortable. But if any of you experienced pregnant ladies and/or mothers have any tips on how to get me through these last few weeks, I would love to hear about them.

Moving on, trying to return to my normal, chipper self...

We had a doctor's appointment this afternoon. I'm up 21 lbs. total, with approximately eight weeks to go. I'm really hoping I can stay at or under the 30 lb. mark for total gain, but we'll see how it goes. They say that you're supposed to gain at least a pound a week at this point of pregnancy, so if I stick to an average of a pound a week, that would put me right around that 30 lb. number when this is over. Everything else looks good. Really low blood pressure (she said it was 100/68!), good heartrate, and baby has done some catching up and I'm now measuring right on time again.

Last night, we finished our birth preparation classes. Now that they're done, I think I can be honest and say that they weren't tremendously beneficial. I don't regret taking them at all, as I do think it was nice to review everything and be given a few tools to help with the labor process, but it wasn't like I had any crazy "lightbulb moments" or anything like that. In related news, we did our hospital tour on Sunday. That was actually really nice, as it made us feel more comfortable knowing exactly where to park, where to go once inside, etc. We got to see one of the birthing center rooms and hear all about the hospital's processes and services. All good stuff to know.

Wrapping up... thank you so much to everyone who has entered the Heather Drive Baby Pool so far! It has been fun to see all of the guesses come pouring in, and I look forward to being at the point where the baby is out and we can determine a winner! :) One thing--if you entered and did NOT include an e-mail address, please let me know in the comments or via e-mail so I can go in and add your e-mail address for you. If you don't have an e-mail address attached to your entry, we won't be able to contact you if you win! And if you haven't entered a guess yet, what are you waiting for?

23 comments:

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} July 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

You might want to check craft stores for the bra expanders. I know Michael's sells them, and I would assume stores like Joann Fabrics or Hancock Fabrics would have them, too.

Cynthia July 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

You look great! I wish I looked as good as you do when I was pregnant. I gained 50lbs. and I'm pretty small, only 5'3". Everybody thought I was having twins.

We didn't get anything out of our childbirth class that we didn't already know either.

Moya July 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

I know how you feel about not wearing a bra! It was so awful for me & uncomfortable, I had to change bras about 3 different times throughout the pregnancy. I would literally get nauseous if I saw somebody just normally going about their day without one. And I couldn't breathe with baby crushing my lungs & spent an entire weekend on oxygen. So gripe away:-)

basebell6 July 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

You look REALLLLY great!!!! I thought I'd stay under 30 lbs; but then again I thought my baby would be born early. Wrong on both. It will not be the end of the world if you break 30! And you can whine all you want about those little quirks that go along with being pregnant; don't feel guilty at all.

Bras / underwear fitting right and FEELING right is enough to drive me insane so I just wear sports bras alllll the time. I'm so picky with clothes!

Laura July 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

You look wonderful for being 32 weeks pregnant. Regarding the bra extenders, I have found some at Wal Mart. Have you thought about wearing a sports bra?

Heather July 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

Thanks, everyone. You're all very sweet!

Are the bra expanders you can get at Michaels/Joann's the ones that clip on the existing hooks, or do you have to sew them on? Apparently the ones at Target just hook on, which is convenient!

Basebell and Laura--When I wear sports bras, I get major uni-boob! Everything feels stuck together. They don't work very well for me for anything but exercise.

Wishing on stars July 28, 2010 at 3:22 AM  

Goodness, where did that beautiful belly come from? Your last pic you looked pregnant but this one you look ready to have a baby :-) I don't mean that in any way insulting. You look wonderful, I promise, just really pregnant. I'm so jealous Heather! I'm know for you this time has gone so slowly, but for me, reading your blog, it seems to have gone by at a lightening speed.

Complain all you want. You are entitled lol

Enjoy that last bit of pregnancy you have left. But we can't wait to meet the little one either!

Jessica July 28, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

I forgot to put my email address in my entry. It is jalice1980 @ aol dot com. My entry is the one that says June 08 Nestie "friend" :)

Crystal July 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

I'm totally with you being "uncomfortable." I'm feeling like our little girl has no more room (already at 31 wks) and she's constantly in my ribs. Have you been having any back pain? That seems to be my big problem too these days. And I can't hardly roll over in bed at all anymore. Oh and just today I had to retire my rings. :(

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} July 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

The ones I have you just have to hook them on - very convenient!

Anonymous,  July 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

Congrats on the pregancy! Hang in there.

I forgot my email also :(. Ashley, Colgate WI on Sept 19th. fassbendera@gmail.com

THanks!

Soheyla July 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

I think you should go to Macy's or Dillards and buy a CZ set that will fit your ring finger right now. I know what you mean about loving to wear the engagement/ wedding ring - at least it would be a substitute. :)

Heather July 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Regarding the bra extenders--thank you for the tips! I was in Joann Fabrics tonight to pick up something else and checked, and they had them--for much cheaper than Target, too! Score! :) My rib cage thanks you dearly.

Wishing on Stars--Thank you so much, you're so sweet! And to answer your question, the baby seems to have grown out of nowhere! :)

Jessica and Ashley--I added your e-mail addresses; thank you!

Crystal--Don't have much back pain to complain of on a daily basis, but I have had a couple of bouts of it. Over 4th of July weekend, I had one day where I felt like I could barely move! I think I just overdid it in the days leading up to that. I'm sorry you're suffering, back pain is not fun!

Z--I like the way you think. I may end up buying a super cheap band at Claire's or something.

Sammy Sue July 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

Hope your last 8 weeks goes smoothly!

Forgot my email address too. Samantha S. from Cincinnati. It's Sammysue00@ gmail dot com.

Thanks!

Meghan July 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Sports bras were my savior the last 10 weeks. I couldn't wear a underwire if my life depended on it. I didn't care what anyone said, I was wanted to be comfortable. I bought a back of Hanes from Walmart for $10 and they saved my life. Just though I would let you know.

Meghan July 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

Oh I just noticed your comment about sports bras but I say who cares, comfort is comfort and you already have a huge beach ball in your stomach so a uniboob shouldn't matter that much lol!

A.E. July 29, 2010 at 3:25 AM  

Totally just typed "heatherdrive." in the email spot--alana.edmondson@gmail.com.

Gretchen,  July 29, 2010 at 6:30 AM  

You look great, I look at your weekly updates and it makes me a little jealous. I'm sitting here with my 6 week old and don't worry that time will fly by. And I know what you mean about the bras, I couldn't wear anything with an underwire! At least you haven't started retaining water, I think that's the worst! Good luck and I look forward to reading what's happening.
My email for the pool is walkergretch@gmail.com

Heather July 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

Sammy, Alana, and Gretchen--Thanks for providing e-mail addresses; I've updated your entries accordingly.

Meghan--It's not just the "look" of the uniboob that bothers me. Sports bras push my boobs together and everything feels all stuck together, LOL. I just don't find them to be all that comfortable! I might need to go on a hunt for underwireless bras, but I'm using the bra extender today and so far, feel significantly better.

Gretchen--Awww! So you miss pregnancy? But it must be so nice to have your little one with you "on the outside."

Holly @ BeachCoveJewelry July 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

I was one who forgot to leave my email address :) oops! I left my guess under Holly Mahoney and my email is beachcovejewelry @ gmail dot com

Gretchen,  July 30, 2010 at 5:30 AM  

I miss being pregnant now, but I was so ready to be done with it those last couple of weeks. It's just that she's getting so big so fast, which you'll get to witness soon enough. Can't wait to see finished pictures of the nursery, it sounds a lot like the color scheme we did for our little one.

Jenn and Neena Mae July 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

I like your shirt. Your belly is pretty cute, too. ;-)

Heather July 30, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

Holly--Sorry for the little delay, but I went in and added your e-mail to your entry.

Gretchen--Nursery pics will be coming pretty soon! We'll probably share some preliminary pics in the next few weeks, but will have to do a "final reveal" after the baby is born and we're able to add all of the gender-specific final touches we have planned. :)

Jenn--Thanks! It's funny because that is a pre-pregnancy shirt that just so happens to be one of those ones that LOOKS like it could be a maternity shirt. Works out pretty well with the belly, haha!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP