How Stuff Works

Monday, June 6, 2011

These days, Nora is figuring out how stuff works.

Every morning (and sometimes in the evening), she turns the music/lights toy on in her crib. She often uses her feet. She knows exactly where the button is and what it does. She kicks it repeatedly, turning it on and off. On and off.

The wheels in her head are turning constantly. Her brain is a sponge. It's really an amazing thing to witness.

Last week, I was playing with her on the floor. We were playing with her ball popper, which we brought out and started to play with a few weeks ago. She used to just grab the balls off the track, hold them, play with them, stick them in her mouth. But last week, I saw her put the ball back in the track. It was the first time I had seen her do it, but it seemed purposeful. So we continued playing, and then... she did it again. And again. Now, she does it like it's no big thing. She still grabs the balls out of the track to play with them, but when she's done, she puts them back. She knows how it works.

Last night, we were making dinner, and Nora was playing nearby on the floor, with a few toys around her, including the ball popper and her teapot. The teapot set has three little desserts that come with it that she likes to play with. At one point, Michael and I watched her play by herself from afar, and noticed that she was taking one of the little desserts and placing it in the track to the ball popper. (The desserts are roughly the same size as the balls.) It's not perfectly round, so of course it wasn't rolling anywhere. She'd place it in the track, watch for a second, then take it back out. Then she'd try again. We commented on it to each other, laughing about how cute it was. It's so funny to see how her mind is working. She's understanding cause and effect. She's figuring out how the pieces of the "puzzle" go together in life. I love it.

After observing for a minute or so, we went back to making dinner, ate it, and got Nora ready for bed. As I was rocking/nursing Nora in her room, Michael was cleaning up the toys in the living room. I suddenly heard him bust out laughing, and I called out, "What?" He soon brought me a photo to show me.

The dessert wouldn't roll down the track, so... she put it down the vertical chute (where the balls normally pop out). It fit perfectly.

My child is a genius.

6 comments:

Amy June 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM  

our popper sees almost all Elle's toys--plus she likes to put her hand over the air chute when it is on. Too cute!!

Amie June 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

Well, if my hard drive hadn't just totally crashed, I would send you a very similar picture I have- of when my nephew dropped my sister's cell phone down the tube of an identical toy. It went down the tube shut, but it opened up inside (this was maybe two years ago, and it was a flip phone). It took about half the day to get it out!

Cynthia June 7, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

We had one of those too, Eric put his binky in it and it still worked! LOL

diana June 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

She is adorable! My son just started reaching out to touch and grab toys in front of him instead of just staring at them, which is awesome.

Pie June 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

Nolan loves to put the empty Easter eggs together with the balls, and that works out perfectly! Now we are not limited to only 5 balls, and that keeps him super busy.

Vanessa June 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM  

I can't handle the cuteness! xxx

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP