Saved by the Bell Storm

Friday, June 10, 2011

If things had gone according to plan, I would be in New York City tonight. IF they had gone according to plan.

They didn't.

I was supposed to fly out at 6:00 a.m. this morning for a conference all day, then half day Saturday and be back home before dinner. Short trip, but a part of me was still dreading it for one reason: I didn't want to be away from my girl! I've never been away from Nora overnight before, and I'm not sure I'm ready!

Last night, I was preparing to go to bed before my super early alarm, and I decided to print out my boarding pass so I could bypass the ticket counter in the morning. Well, thank goodness I checked, because when I got to the page and entered my confirmation number, I was informed that my flight was cancelled. Interesting.

I called Jet Blue right away to see what the deal was, and I soon found out that my flight was cancelled due to... weather. 8+ hours in advance. Weird. And try as they might have, they could not get me rebooked on any flight before 5:00 p.m. tonight. Considering Day 1 of the conference would be over by then, that news effectively made the trip pointless for me. I cancelled the reservation, got a refund, and went to bed.

This morning, instead of getting up at 3:30 a.m., I got up at normal time. I got to see my girl. And I turned on the Today Show to find... absolutely beautiful weather in NYC. And upon checking, every other 6:00 a.m. flight (different airlines) to JFK took off on time. And my flight was the only one that Jet Blue had cancelled.

Bastards! If this had been a vacation, I would've blown a gasket. Yet I found myself calm about the situation, because, well, there were too many "pros" to staying home.

Am I disappointed about missing the conference? Sure. Would it have been nice to make a quick trip to NYC? Yes.

But I got to drop off and pick up Nora from daycare today. I got to play with her and feed her and read to her. I got to put her to bed. I get to spend the entirety of my weekend at home with my little family. So, in the end, who can be mad about that?

The "first night away from baby" milestone will have to be saved for another time.

I'm so relieved.

1 comments:

Unknown June 10, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

Wow, usually JetBlue is so fantastic, I'm surprised! At least you didn't have to leave Nora!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP