Wednesday, October 26, 2011
My little one is under the weather.
On Monday night, Nora woke up at 2:00 a.m. and was up for two hours--something that is very unusual for her. She didn't seem sick at all, so we chalked it up to possible teething and went on with our day as normal (albeit a little extra tired).
But when I picked her up from daycare yesterday, she seemed a little out of it. She looked tired. Her eyes had that glazed-over, "sick look." Our daycare provider said that she seemed quiet and not as active as usual. I thought she felt a little warm. Still, I took her home and Michael and I plopped her in her high chair to give her some dinner.
For the past week or so, Nora has been a rockstar when it comes to eating. It must've been the fact that I blogged about her food habits; she wanted to prove me wrong! She suddenly took to eating everything we put in front of her, so we've taken advantage by offering her a huge variety of new foods in the hopes that when she goes through another "picky stage," we'll have a bigger arsenal of familiar foods to pull from.
So anyway, we got her home last night and tried to feed her and... she wouldn't eat anything. We knew something was up right away, since the things we were trying to serve her were some of her favorites. Macaroni and cheese! She wouldn't touch it. We ended up getting her to eat a little bit of a dinner roll, but that was it. We called it quits on dinner, and I took her upstairs to get her ready for bed, even though it was early.
I discovered she did have a fever--101.6 by her ear thermometer. Not crazy high or anything, but a fever nonetheless. I gave her a bath, and she proceeded to freak me out a little bit by having chills when I was getting her pajamas on. Poor kid.
She promptly passed out, and we prepared ourselves to have another bad night. To our surprise, she slept quite well. We heard a couple of coughing fits throughout the night, and a few short little cries, but she always settled right back down.
This morning, she still looked terrible, and she once again had a 101+ degree fever, so we made her a doctor's appointment.
It turns out the poor kid has a double ear infection. AGAIN. Or, still. We're not sure whether it's a new infection, or if the one she had (diagnosed on 10/10) just never went away, even after a 10-day course of antibiotics. We stopped by the pharmacy to get her a new, stronger antibiotic, and I took her home and put her down for a nap. Michael came home from work to take the afternoon shift so I could go into work to attend meetings and get some things done. (Hooray, full-time working parents!)
THE KID TOOK A 4-HOUR NAP. If that right there is not a sign of her illness, I don't know what is.
By the time I got home, she was still looking pretty sick, but she was in good spirits.
Another fever tonight, so I don't know what to do about daycare tomorrow. Our provider doesn't really have any set rules, just expects everyone to use their best judgement. Ear infections aren't contagious, but she has the start of a cold now, too. Today, her pediatrician said she didn't think it was a good idea for her to return to daycare while she has the fever, so... I don't know. *sigh*
The biggest development in all of this is that our pediatrician started talking TUBES. Nora has had a few ear infections, but I guess I didn't realize that it was anything abnormal until today. By our count, she's had 3-4 that we've treated since last Christmas, when she got her first one at three months old. Plus, there was an additional one that we detected at her 12-month well-baby appointment that we decided not to treat because she was showing absolutely no symptoms of it, and it didn't seem to be bothering her.
The pediatrician essentially said that if she can get away with having just one more ear infection between now and March, we'd be good. However, if she gets two within that timeframe, she wants to order the surgery to have tubes placed in her ears.
Blahhhhh. Not what I wanted to hear. I know it's a minor, common, outpatient procedure that takes like five minutes, but no one wants to put their baby under anesthesia, you know? Anyway, I'm not going to really spend time worrying about it until its actually upon us, but honestly, based on her history, I just don't see us getting to March with only one more ear infection.
I'm curious... Does your child have tubes in his/her ears? How old was he/she when they were inserted? What was the rationale for the decision? How many ear infections had he/she been diagnosed with before the tubes? Did the tubes prevent any further ear infections? Were they/will they be removed at a certain age?
Even though tubes are just a possibility at this point, we do need to think ahead a bit because we are approaching open enrollment for health insurance with our employers. Right now, we have Michael and Nora on a high-deductible insurance plan through his job, and me on my own separate plan, as that was the most cost-effective solution for us. With Michael and Nora's plan, we've been taking the extra money that we would be spending on premiums and putting it in a health savings account. We have a nice chunk of money in there after only 10 months of paying into it, but we're not sure it's enough to cover the surgery, since we still have a deductible/co-insurance we'd have to pay.
So, that begs the question... if we think it's a good possibility that she'll need this surgery, should we consider switching to a traditional health plan for 2012? The premiums are much higher, but the surgery would likely be fully covered. We have to wait to get the 2012 insurance offerings from our employers, then try to get an estimate for what the surgery would cost, and go from there. It's definitely hard to figure out life insurance, but health insurance is a beast, too!
In the meantime, here's hoping Miss Nora gets back to her old self soon... and that maybe, just maybe, her vulnerability for ear infections will disappear! (See that there? That's optimism!)