For the Love of "Up"

Thursday, April 12, 2012

When my dad was visiting a few weeks ago, he wanted to get something for Nora. He saw how much she enjoys the movies that we have--Tangled, Rio, Toy Story 3--because we did a LOT of movie watching with "Pa" while he was here. He asked if we had the movie "Up," and when we said no, he vowed to buy it for Nora that very same night.


Now, Nora loves "Up."

When Nora was younger, we rarely ever had the TV on when she was awake. But ever since our road trip to Virginia, when we found that she does in fact enjoy animated movies and shows, we've relaxed a bit. We still try to limit her television time. We don't watch TV at home with her during the week since she does get TV time at daycare (she's with an in-home provider). On the weekends, we try to balance TV/movie time with playtime, time outside, and good ol' run-errands-with-mom-and-dad time.

Anyway, at first, I think it was just the bright colors and sounds that amused her. But then she started dancing to the music. And raising her arms up in the air when the birds were flying in Rio. Then, she did the best thing yet--she started LAUGHING at funny parts in the movies. Clearly, she understands what's happening, and I wouldn't be surprised if she actually comprehends most of the dialogue at this point. The kid is INTO it.

Check out this video that Michael sent to me when I was in Boston. It was so cute and I missed her so much that it very nearly made me cry.

To set it up: She's watching the very beginning of "Up." For those who have seen it--you know when little Carl is walking home from the movie theater? And he's "jumping over the Grand Canyon" (crack in the sidewalk), and then he "climbs Mount Everest"--a tree stump that he attempts to jump over but doesn't make it? That's the part she's watching, and all of these giggles are a result of what I just described.


Adorable. If letting Nora watch a few movies is wrong, I don't think I want to be right. :)

14 comments:

Heather April 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

So precious! I love baby laughs!

Megan April 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM  

I'm impressed that she'll sit and watch! Janie is obsessed with Mickey but try a movie and no way! I'm jealous, I'm so over Mickey and I'd love to see some of those movies!

Megan April 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM  

Oh, and PS, that laughing KILLS me.

Kari April 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM  

Not helping my baby fever! ;)

Mindi April 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM  

omg love it.. I sat here saying "I want one" :)

basebell6 April 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM  

nora's laugh is the cutest thing in the whole world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes me want to go get that movie at the library and see if it would have the same effect here.

Anonymous,  April 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM  

No matter how many times I watch this I actually giggle. Ah Heather, she is too darn cute. I miss those baby laughs that can make your day.

Vanessa April 13, 2012 at 6:08 AM  

Ah, who cares about the tv nazis? Seriously, certain movies for children marked my childhood and inspired me and made me laugh and sing... I for one can't wait to share Mary Poppins with my future children! I think it's wonderful that Nora is deriving so much enjoyment from movies!

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife April 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM  

That is just too cute! I love baby laughs.

It always amazes me what they actually understand and react to.

Tara April 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM  

Ah! So precious!! I couldn't stop giggling at her laugh :p

Elizabeth,  April 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM  

Nora's laugh is absolutely adorable! Such genuine belly chuckles! LOVE it!

Why shouldn't she watch movies if she enjoys it? She gets lots of fresh air and other stimulation, nothing wrong with some TV time. :)

Wishing on stars April 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM  

Oh my goodness this made me laugh so hard and even brought tears my eyes. That is the sweetest thing I've ever seen lol

jv726 April 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM  

So cute! I love baby giggles!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP