The Bunny

Saturday, March 31, 2012

We were planning on getting Nora all dressed up in her Easter best, and making a special trip to the mall--just to see the Easter Bunny.

And then we realized, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE THINKING?

We knew there was about a 0.001% chance that Nora would actually sit with the bunny long enough to take a photo, and figured it most certainly was not worth putting in that much effort. So, we instead lumped in a quick stop at the bunny with dinner out with my family on Friday night. The bunny was right next door at the mall. Nora wore what she had been wearing all day.

And it went just about as well as we expected. Which was not well at all.


Despite attempts to thwart the crying with a lovey (the lovey of choice varies by day--in this case, it was her stuffed giraffe), and then trying to distract with a new little ducky toy that they were giving to the kids... Nora was not a happy camper. And I didn't want to torture the poor kid, so I only left her on his (her?) lap for about five seconds.

Done. D-O-N-E.

We figured that almost-3-years-old Hunter would be better suited for this. Nora is shy all around, while Hunter is more outgoing and comfortable with strangers. But even Hunter kept saying "No!" every time we tried to get him close to the bunny. He was fine waving to the bunny, saying "Hi Bunny!" and everything from afar, but he didn't want anything to do with approaching him and sitting on his lap.

We thought that maybe if we took the two of them up together, they would feel more at ease knowing they had each other.

Nope. No dice. This was the best we did.

Oh well. Maybe someday, Nora will be all about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Or, maybe she won't. I think we'll probably at least give her the opportunity to visit each year, but it's not a big deal. Honestly, I don't blame the kids one bit, because it's admittedly strange to walk up and sit on a giant bunny's lap.

At least we got a cute picture for Nora's first Easter, before she was old enough to know how creepy that Bunny really is! :)

How did everyone else's kids do with the Easter Bunny this year? Do you remember visiting with the Easter Bunny when you were a kid? Did you like him, or were you terrified?

6 comments:

Elizabeth,  April 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM  

That Bunny does look pretty scary with his skinny knees Heather! I don't blame Nora and Hunter for not wanting to get too close!

I don't remember having any issues with the Easter Bunny/Santa, but I know my little sister did. Her birthday is at Christmas, and my parents would "invite" Santa to her birthday party/Christmas Street Party on Christmas Eve, and up until she was around 5 years old, she would scream the house down when she saw him (or any other larger than life costumed animal or character)!

Best of luck!

Vanessa April 2, 2012 at 4:41 AM  

I don't like the bunny!

I tell you what would be really cute - finding some real bunnies for Nora to pet around Easter time. Is there a little farm where kids can pet the animals near you? That's an Easter tradition I'd quite like to establish with my future kids!

PhaseThreeOfLife April 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM  

It went pretty much the same over here this weekend - with two bunnies. We had to sit with him so he would just glare rather than scream. I totally don't blame them... the bunnies are kind of creepy!

Krystie April 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM  

I have a picture of me when I was 5 years old hysterically crying and running away from the Easter bunny in the park. Apparently my mom found it to be more funny to take my picture then it was to hold my hand, HA. I just think all together they are creepy. I'm not sure we'll do Santa pictures, etc with our little one until they are much older.Even then, I think it will be in a festival type setting versus the mall.

Clint & Alicia McLaws April 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM  

We took our little girl tonight...but we went to Bass Pro shop because its free. And there was no line! We walked right up! Our little girl showed absolutely no emotion. No smiles, but no screams either.

Helen April 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM  

I have totally given up the Easter Bunny picture. I still force the Santa thing, because, hello, tradition, but I secretly think all the mall Easter bunnies are sorta creepy, so I can't really blame the munchkin for not being into it. Maybe someday!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP