Outside

Friday, March 16, 2012

I'm afraid we've created a monster.


We've had pretty great weather this week. Every night after work, we've taken Nora outside to play. The only problem (if you can call it that) is that she LOVES it--a little too much, maybe. The minute we get home, she's whining/reaching for the door/begging to go outside. We happily oblige, but sometimes it's necessary to--I don't know--drop our things off in the house, change our clothes, get dinner started, or pee. God forbid!
It's tough to teach an 18 month old patience, especially when they can't comprehend reason.

Anyway. A couple of nights ago, I finally put away the iPhone and got the real camera out. I also unburied my 50mm f/1.8 lens, which--although my favorite--I haven't used in quite some time. I chased Nora around in the front and back yards, trying desperately to get some good photos of our girl. And then, I edited them! I took a night off from kitchen stuff to enjoy playing around with pics. The results are the photos here in this post. Not perfect (hello, limb chops!), but it was the best I could do with a fixed lens and a never-stops-moving toddler.
This little one enjoys being outside so much that she doesn't even want to sleep. Or bathe. Last night, she threw an absolute FIT when I took her shoes off, took her upstairs, and gave her a quick bath. She normally loves baths, so it was a different experience to have her screaming and fighting me (I even had to call in reinforcements--Michael!) the whole time.
{Reaching for a ball that Daddy threw way up into the sky}

We didn't move into our house until mid-August of last year, and at that point, we were in a mad rush of house projects to make the place liveable. We didn't have much time to be outdoors, and even when we did, it was tough because Nora was not yet walking, but didn't like to be in the grass for extended periods of time. So, this will be our first time to really take advantage of the benefits of having a house. With a yard. And a fence. And a driveway.
{Waving bye-bye to Daddy}

We have big plans for a spring and summer filled with cars/bikes, balls, bubbles, slides, swings, chalk, and a baby pool. And (hopefully) eating things straight out of our soon-to-be little backyard garden.
Yesterday, as I drove home after picking up Nora from daycare, I glanced in the back seat to see her SLEEPING, wisps of her hair gently moving in the breeze flowing in through my half-open window. It's only a 10-minute drive from daycare to our house, which is never enough time for her to fall asleep anymore. The last time that happened? Last summer.
I asked Mary whether Nora had actually napped yesterday, and she said that she did, but only for 45 minutes. She had been furious with Mary when she brought her inside to nap, and when she woke up, all she wanted to do was go back out.
We have an outdoor-loving girl.

And it is still only March. We have 7+ months ahead of us to enjoy the great outdoors.
I can't wait to see how our adventures unfold.

12 comments:

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife March 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM  

1. Those photos are gorgeous!

2. I just blogged about the wonderful weather as well. I'm giddy that it's 70+ degrees in March! I have all these plans of bubbles and walks around the neighborhood with my daughter for the summer and early fall. Keep it up Mother Nature!

Lesley March 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM  

you forgot to mention grilling! Summer always reminds me of grilled corn on the cob, hot dogs, and burgers! Nora is at such a fun age it seems to enjoy all these fun summer activities and food! Can't wait till my LO is big enough and we can come over and play with Nora (yes, I did just invite myself over to play!) :)

And um, when did your baby turn into a little girl???

Vanessa March 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM  

Love these photos! Seriously, isn't having your own house, with you own backyard, the best? Some nicer weather is already with us after a horrible winter, and I can't wait to enjoy the garden!

Anonymous,  March 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM  

Love the pictures. :) And Aubrey's the SAME WAY (although we have to walk down the road to get to a playground -- we're in a condo). She pitches a FIT if we go straight inside without going for a "wok." LOL.

~Kristen

basebell6 March 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM  

nora is soooo adorable! we have an outside obsessed child too!

Maureen,  March 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM  

Love the pictures!!! Well, I hope for you that the weather doesn't change although I think we will have a really hot summer. I can't imagine trying to explain to a screaming child that they can't go out since its either too too cold or its raining.

Phase Three of Life March 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM  

Third to last picture? Those eyes? *swoon* Holy jeez, she's so adorable.

Tara March 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM  

Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

Kira is the same way (18months next Thursday) and she will actually walk to the front door & say "let's go outside." how can you say no to that? Kira, too, will fight off naps, baths, eating, everything & anything to be outside. We live in an apartment but thankfully we have a grassy courtyard downstairs for her to play in. We also make trips to the playground everyday of the weekend, if possible. Not to mention walks to the mailbox & walks to weekend library playgroup are the highlight of this girl's day...haha.

I miss my itty bitty but am absolutely loving every moment of toddler-hood...minus the tantrums of course. Those have become very frequent & Mama is no fan!:p

Tiffany March 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM  

I already told you on fb how adorable she is so now I'm going to say how much I love that jacket! :)

Mrs.MBGordon March 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM  

What a beautiful post! My little one is just barely beginning to develop her own strong preferences, your writing made me look forward (about 12 months) with much excitement!

erica March 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

Gorgeous pics! Especially the one with Nora waving to her daddy...the flare there is impeccable :)

Sarah Bryant March 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM  

I ak having the same issues with my 15 month old. She makes me put on her shoes and then just stands at the door and cries until we go out. When we finally come in hours later, she flips out. its driving me NUTS!!!! I love outside too but sometimes I have to go back in. And the time to go back inside battle is very stressful.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP