Best Breadmaker Sandwich Bread

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We got a breadmaker as a wedding gift. A few weeks ago now, we busted it out of the box and gave it a whirl. The first loaf I attempted was a disaster (it rose so much that it was pushing out the top of the breadmaker!), and I had to stop it in the middle of the cycle and trash it.

The second loaf was OK, but it wasn't the best bread.

And then I found this recipe from Dinner with the Bickfords. I decided to give it a try, and I'm really glad I did. It is really good bread!


When I made it on Sunday, we used it to make really good turkey sandwiches for dinner (turkey with honey mustard, cheddar cheese, and thin slices of granny smith apple). It is perfect for sandwiches. Michael has been making his PB&J lunch sandwiches on it all week. Now it's gone... I have to make another loaf tomorrow!

Breadmaker Wheat Bread

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups warm water (about 110 degrees)
1/3 cup olive oil (do not substitute with vegetable oil--use olive oil!)
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (if you wish to make white bread, substitute this for bread flour)
2 1/2 cups bread flour
'2 tbsp. and 2 tsp. white sugar
3 tsp. yeast (I used one of the packets)

Directions:

In the breadmaker pan, combine water, oil, and salt.

Add the flour on top of the liquids. Pour sugar into one corner of the breadmaker pan. Make a well (a dent) in the center of the flour and pour the yeast into it.

Set the breadmaker for a "basic" loaf (and I used the "light" crust setting), and press start. Walk away... in three hours, you'll have delicious fresh bread!

9 comments:

Anonymous,  April 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

You were right about this being some good sandwich bread. I have jhad very little success finding something that would cut well, then be able to be toasted.

Thanks so much for labeling it in your blog so well. It was the number 2 result for my search in google.

Anonymous,  October 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

My husband and I have been trying to find the perfect bread recipe for a while now. This is by far the best breadmaker sandwich bread I've ever had! We have stopped buying bread at the grocery store, and instead make two loaves of this per week. Thank you!

Sunshine July 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

I can't figure out how to ask Heather a question in private. It is not crazy just a worldview sort of thing. Any suggestions?

Alison Markham January 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM  

Thank you so much for this recipe! Finally a loaf of bread that is not dense. Light and delicious.

Andrea Yurcisin January 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

Hi everyone - I love this recipe - thank you! Just wanted you to know that I accidentally had to vary the ingredients slightly and the difference was amazing!!! Instead of olive oil I had to use Safflower oil - the difference in the rise of the bread AND the moisture was astounding.

Lewis Family March 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

Tried this recipe and love, love, loved it! I've got a 6 year old son who lives to make fresh bread each day and this has quickly become his favorite sandwich bread. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous,  April 24, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

Yep, this is it! I have been trying a new bread recipe every day for about a month, in search of THE ONE. Most of them I have chucked out and what we have eaten we have not enjoyed and eagerly awaited the next attempt. THIS is the one that we will use from now on! Great bread!! THANKS!

Anonymous,  September 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM  

How do you store this bread? I usually put mine in a ziploc bag on the counter, but was wondering if anyone tried keeping it in the refrigerator to ease cutting?

Lizzie53084 July 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM  

I only have a 1- 1.5 pound loaf breadmaker, a small one, will this be too big of a batch? I can't find anything on how big your breadmaker is! Help!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP