Low-Fat Banana Bread

Saturday, July 19, 2008

I love sweet bread. Pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, apple cinnamon bread, banana bread... yum.

The only problem is that under normal circumstances, it is sooo not good for you.

Back in May, we had a few overly ripe bananas, and I wanted to use them for banana bread. Instead of using the recipe I have used for years and years, I decided to go on the internet and try to find something just a tad bit more healthy for us.

I ultimately landed on a recipe from http://www.recipezaar.com/ for "Low-Fat Banana Bread." It had several good reviews, and that seemed unusual for a low-fat bread recipe. I decided to give it a try.

The first time I sampled it, I tried it pretty much right out of the oven. I didn't like it. It was chewy, and I wasn't that thrilled about the taste of it, either. Well, I should have known. Sweet bread is ALWAYS better after you let it sit for a while. I tried it again the next day, and I was blown away. To me, it does not taste low fat at ALL. It's moist, has a good texture, and has a really nice banana flavor. Delicious. I have made it at least four times since then.

Yesterday, I decided to throw a loaf in the oven for a party my mom was hosting last night. That's the thing about this bread--perfect for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.

At the party? Rave banana bread reviews. I don't think anyone even suspected it wasn't full-on, full-fat banana bread. Two thumbs (or, it would probably be more accurate to say approximately 20 thumbs) up for this recipe. So go ahead, give it a whirl.

This recipe makes one good-sized loaf. I often double the recipe to make two loaves. Lots of bananas--but so good!

Low-Fat Banana Bread

- 4 bananas (the more ripe, the better)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar (you can lessen this a bit and still not affect the taste)
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened (I use low-fat margarine)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce

1. Peel bananas and mash them in a bowl. (I break them in thirds, throw them into a bowl, and beat them with my Kitchen Aid mixer.)

2. Add all other ingredients and mix well.

3. Pour into a greased loaf pan.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

Good eats. Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts: Recipe makes 12 servings; Serving size- 1 slice; Calories- 182; Calories from fat- 23; Total fat- 2.6g; Saturated fat- 1.4g; Monounsaturated fat- 0.7g; Polyunsaturated fat- 0.2g; Trans fat- 0.0g; Cholesterol- 22mg; Sodium- 140mg; Potassium- 166mg; Total carbohydrate- 38.2g; Dietary fiber- 1.5g; Sugars- 21.6g; Protein- 2.6g

5 comments:

Erica July 21, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

I love banana bread. I can't wait to try this recipe because I'm always looking for ways to make my favorite foods healthier!!

Robin August 28, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Great recipe. I've made this once twice now and have gotten raves both times :)

Anonymous,  February 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

I just made this, although my version wasn't quite so low fat. I didn't have applesauce, so I substituted 2 tablespoons softened butter for it. I also added 1/4 teaspoon salt. I creamed the butter and sugar together, added the egg and vanilla, then the bananas, and then mixed in the dry ingredients just until combined. Oh, and I added about 1/4 cup toasted walnuts.

Anyway...it was good! And even with doubling the butter, it still has half the fat of most banana bread recipes.

I made muffins, and they got a little too dark before the centers set, so 325 degrees would probably have worked better for me.

Anonymous,  December 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Oh good call Bridget! I was completely up for this recipe until the applesauce part (as I am terribly allergic to apples). I will have to try this with your version. Thanks!

Ann February 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM  

A couple of other suggestions for making it even heathier are using some brown sugar in place of the white, and also using some whole wheat flour in place of the white all-purpose. Maybe even sneak a little oatmeal in there ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP