Slow-Cooked Mexican Chicken

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

For dinner tonight, we went with one of our favorite standby recipes, a slow-cooked Mexican chicken dish. It's so simple, but does require a little bit of planning ahead--simply because it is a crockpot recipe and needs to cook for 5-6 hours.

I found this recipe a couple of months ago over on Dinner with the Bickfords. I'm loving on them this week, aren't I? It just so happened that when I went to her blog to remind myself of the ingredients for this meal (before we went grocery shopping on Sunday), I saw the bread recipe that I posted yesterday. So two Bickford recipes this week. :) I've modified her recipe a little bit, basically just to make more food. We enjoy having leftovers.

Anyway, once we tried this, we started making it once every couple of weeks leading up to the wedding. We love pretty much anything served over rice, and this is no exception. It has a lot of flavor, and the chicken ends up very tender. Combine all of that with how easy it is to put together, and you have a winner, for sure.


Slow-Cooked Mexican Chicken

Ingredients:

- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa (We use medium because we like a little spice, but you can use whatever you like. Sometimes, I end up throwing a little extra in there to get all of the ingredients really well coated, if we have another jar in the fridge.)
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 large onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced (I slice them really thin because it's how I like them.)
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Green onions, sliced
- Brown rice (We make several cups in our rice maker.)

Directions:

In your crockpot, combine all ingredients through the taco seasoning. Cook for approximately 5-6 hours on low heat (or 2-3 hours on high).

Prepare your rice accordingly.

Turn off slow cooker and uncover. If the sauce is thin, add flour (a tablespoon at a time) to thicken it up.

Serve chicken mixture over rice, and top with the shredded cheese and green onions.

3 comments:

Gia July 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM  

I definitely have to try that. Looks SO GOOD!

Anonymous,  August 2, 2008 at 9:09 AM  

Thanks Heather! I tried this and it came out great. I used two jars of salsa and added a can of black beans and some fresh cilantro.
Fantastic and easy!

Amber Bass December 22, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

Hi Heather! This looks sooo good. I'm going to print it out and try it this week.

I have a question... how did you do the header on your page? I love how 'custom' it looks. You can email me at amberavon1@yahoo.com or just leave a comment on my page if you have time. Thanks!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP