Growing

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The changes in Nora over the last few weeks have been truly incredible.

I've been around a lot of babies in my life. But now that I have one of my own, to know like the back of my hand, to see her every day... I am in complete awe of the rate of development of a human infant in its first months of life.

Seriously, though. One day, she can't do something. The next day, she can.

As an example, let's take rolling from back to belly. She's been rolling consistently from belly to back for a while now, but she couldn't go the other way. For a week or so, we watched as she got closer and closer to flipping herself onto her belly. She'd crane her head and neck backward, she'd rotate her torso and her legs as far as she could, but she just couldn't get that hip to swing over to flip herself. She was so close, but she couldn't do it.

When we woke her up in her crib on Wednesday morning, she couldn't do it. At bedtime on Wednesday night, she couldn't do it. But then, when I went in to check on her sometime on Wednesday evening, after she had been sleeping for a while, this is how I found her:


Out cold, sleeping on her belly. With her arm stuck through the crib slats, to boot. Suddenly, she could do it. And now we can't get her to stop. Here's a quick video of her showing off her new skills:
She's also improving her hand coordination every day. EVERY DAY she gets better at grasping things, bringing them to her mouth, etc. Last week, I was feeding her a bottle (rare, as we generally save those for daycare and at home, I usually nurse her), and noticed that she was technically holding it on her own.

Admittedly, she doesn't quite understand what she's doing yet--meaning she's not doing it purposely--but still!

Oh, and remember when I was so stressed out about breaking her of the swaddle? (I was also stressed about all other things sleep, but that turned out to be related to a surprise ear infection!) Well, shortly after that post, we tried to put her to bed one night without her swaddle, and it.went.terribly. It was horrible, and my stress about the situation increased. But we figured why fix what isn't broken, and continued to swaddle her.

A little over a week ago, we had her 4-month well-baby doctor's appointment and mentioned the swaddle to Nora's pediatrician. First, she told us not to worry about it. She said that if it's what makes Nora comfortable and helps her sleep well, go with it. She said that babies WILL grow out of it and assured us that we would not someday be swaddling a 5-year-old child. However, when I mentioned to her that Nora had been busting out of it at least once a night for the past week or so, she said, "Well, maybe she's telling you it's time."

That night, she was fussy from her immunizations, so we stuck with the swaddle. But the next night? We went cold turkey, replacing the swaddle blanket with a sleep sack. She slept from 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. with no problems at all. We were amazed. She did have some issues from 3:30-7:30 a.m., but we stuck with it, and the following night, she slept all the way through. What a big girl! (And such a freaking rockstar.) We haven't swaddled her since.

One thing that Nora hasn't been doing is "talking." She hasn't been a very vocal baby--she giggles, but we don't hear a lot of cooing. But sure enough, suddenly, today... she was "chatting" all afternoon and evening. It was hilarious and so, so cute.
This is such a fun age. I couldn't love her more.

7 comments:

Marie January 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM  

She is just too cute! Isn't it amazing how well babies do with transitions and changes. Our daughter also loved the swaddle and when we moved her into her crib we just did the sleepsack and she slept perfect too. They get more and more fun with each stage! Enjoy!

Gia January 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

She is just too cute for words. I am so glad you posted this because Logan is changing so quickly and it amazes me. I was so sad that he was not giving me smiles (or anyone for that matter). This morning, my husband got up with him and said he was ALL SMILES. I was sad that they weren't for me. Then, this afternoon...SMILE for Mama! It is astounding how one minute they aren't doing something and the next, they surprise you!

Anonymous,  January 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM  

Our baby's development has been a source of amazement to me, too. :) And believe me, EVERY age will be a fun age. As she gets more interactive and responsive to you and Michael, it will only get better!

~Kristen M.

Amy January 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM  

OH MY WORD! That is so awesome that she is holding that bottle..that usually comes later! She is a doll!

Catherine January 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

So good to know I'm not the only mom thinking I'll have a five year old still swaddled! My son is seven weeks and needs the swaddle at night. We just had to go and buy the bigger size for him because he was breaking out of the newborn ones because they were too small. He sleeps from 8 to about 5am, but will wake up once his arms are out of the swaddle. I feel like the only reason we get such awesome sleep is due to the swaddle and I don't want to give it up!

Its all about his arms waving around waking him up. I wonder if they have a sleep sack where his arms are enclosed as well?

Lindsay January 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

Hi! I have been following you for a few months now and I just have to tell you (not that you don't totally know) but Nora is SO STINKIN ADORABLE!!! I mean she beautiful :). I love reading your blog...and feel free to check mine out sometime (if you have time). We are expecting our first baby in 2 weeks! We can't wait to find out if we are having a boy or a girl :), I know you waited too...its so fun.

Lisa January 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM  

It really truly is such an amazing thing to watch isn't it?!? Mickey and I just sit back some nights and watch and laugh as Collin masters something new.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP