One Choice

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Do you ever sit back and reflect on the course of your life, and think about how if you had made just one choice differently, it would have altered your path?

For me, it's not something I ponder on a daily basis, but there are times when something will trigger thoughts like this. Recently, I've been watching "Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes," a documentary-style program that chronicles the planning, work, and drama that goes into the filming of each episode of Oprah. I'm fascinated by this show, simply because there was a point (during my college years) when I planned to go into television production. I wanted to be a producer.

During the summer after my freshman year, I visited my friend on the set of General Hospital in Los Angeles, and worked at some fan events with her while I was there. I had an interest, but after that, I had the bug. I thought I wanted to live in New York or L.A., work with celebrities, and live this semi-glamorous life.

But then, my sophomore year, the more classes I took, the more I realized how tedious something like TV production can be (imagine having to film the same scene over and over and over). At one point, I got a taste of dealing with celebrities and I was not impressed. I know there are some really great ones out there, but I don't deal well with egos, and well... a lot of celebrities have egos. And then I realized how I really didn't want to feel limited to living in New York or L.A.

So, I turned my back on TV production and switched my major to public relations. Since then, my work experience has led me to being on the set of commercial shoots, and although they are fun to do every once in a while, I know I made the right decision regarding my day-to-day life.

But when I watch "Season 25," I sometimes find myself thinking, Wow, what if I hadn't changed my mind? Where would I be now?

And then I realize that all I've really ever wanted in life was a family, with a job that I can enjoy and/or tolerate for 40ish hours per week that will pay the bills and help us live a certain lifestyle. I work hard, and I have goals to move up the ladder, but I don't need to bust my ass and sacrifice my personal life for the sake of a career. And I don't know that I would have all of this if I had chosen to stay in TV production.

All because I made that one choice. I'm so glad I did.

2 comments:

Vanessa April 27, 2011 at 5:21 AM  

That is exactly how I view my career, as something I want to nurture but not at the expense of my family life. I don’t know that I have made all the right choices though! But it is amazing to think about what might have been…
Thank you for this thoughtful post. It seems as though you have found a great balance between work and family life, and I do admire that.

kylee May 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Interesting! I ponder this occasionally too. If my parents hadn't made the completely random choice to buy me a video camera for Christmas when I was 13 (something I didn't ask for or think I wanted), would I have ever figured out my passion for video production? I wouldn't have met my husband, gone to the school I did, have the best friend I have, or traveled to the places I've already had the chance to go for shoots and work.

So weird.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP