A Royal Pain in the Ass

Thursday, April 28, 2011

I don't even know why I watch the morning news, really. On any given day, I could name at least one thing that pisses me off about the coverage, or lack thereof.

It just so happens that for the last two months (or has it been four?), the most aggravating thing of all has been the "Countdown to the Royal Wedding." I'm sorry, but before I head off to work in the morning, I do not need to know that there are 67 days remaining until Will and Kate tie the knot.

This frustration has only increased with time.

So, you can imagine that when I turned on my TV to find that the Today Show--not only Meredith Vieira, but THE ENTIRE TODAY SHOW TEAM (minus Al Roker. I guess he's not worthy)--was in London this morning, my head almost exploded.

I get the appeal of watching the wedding. I understand the fascination, and the excitement. (Though I'll admit that, in the day and age of DVR and YouTube, I don't quite get the wake-up-at-3-a.m.-for-coverage thing, but I digress.) But I do not support the complete and utter TAKEOVER of an entire news broadcast for weeks and weeks. How many times have we heard about the mystery of Kate's dress? Do I need to see video of delivery trucks pulling up and unloading 20-foot trees for decoration inside Westminster Abbey? And I'll tell you right now, I do not give a rat's ass about the hotel room decor where Kate Middleton will spend her last night as a commoner.

In the 25 minutes I had it on, there were two minutes worth of actual news.

I can't tell you which states have been most impacted by the deadly storms in the South, but I can tell you that Kate and Harry attended a second wedding rehearsal, but Will didn't show because he felt confident after the first one.

STOP THE MADNESS.

Alas, the wedding is tomorrow. It's finally here. I suspect (hope! pleasepleaseplease) that come Monday, we might be able to return to some semblance of normalcy. Yes?

In the meantime, Nora is brushing up on her British accent and enjoying a spot of tea and crumpets. She's pumped.

Apparently she didn't get my memo. I better not catch her awake at 3 a.m.!

15 comments:

Michelle MGD April 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

I set my DVR to record this and fully intended on waiting until tomorrow night to watch it after work. But now, I am actually considering pulling myself out of bed at 3 a.m. just in time for the start of the ceremony. I'm not one to get out of bed without having an actual reason to (like work) but it is tempting. I really, really want to see her dress.

Unknown April 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

I am so with you on this. I could care less about this wedding. I actually don't even get the big deal about it, but I can't wait until I DON'T have to hear about it anymore!

Anonymous,  April 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

In all fairness, it's the Today Show. Don't they tend to focus on more 'human interest' stories anyway? I mean, come on, how many times have the Duggaes appeared on it?

Not the wedding isn't getting major coverage from the traditional outlets (Anderson Cooper will be over there for CNN), but you just might want to consider the source. :)

~Kristen

Anonymous,  April 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM  

In all fairness, this is the Today Show we're talking about. :) Not that the wedding isn't getting a lot of coverage on the more traditional news outlets (Anderson Cooper has been out there for several days), but I would expect TTS to focus on this, given their penchant for human interest stories. (I mean, how many times have the Duggars made an appearance? ;)

~Kristen

Heather April 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

To clarify, I do not have any problems with the wedding itself being broadcast on TV, people watching it, etc. I understand that it's sort of a big deal, even if I don't share the same excitement for it as everyone else does. What I object to is the media OBSESSION with it.

Kristen--I hear ya. I know I'm not exactly watching the cadillac of news programs. But I still get pissed when they get fixated on one thing FOREVER. I remember being similarly annoyed when Michael Jackson died and every day, they were talking to MJ's ex-manager's girlfriend's butler's assistant or someone of the like. PLEASE, LET THE MAN REST IN PEACE. For crying out loud.
(P.S. Your comments got caught in Blogger's stupid spam filter, which is why you didn't see them come up at first. :) )

Maggie April 28, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

god i'm SO GLAD to find someone who shares my views on this! i was sick of hearing about it like 3 months ago. and yep, i can tell you all about the damn hotel room but not about the dozens of people who died in those storms. gahh.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

I'm taking the girlie side.

My mom watched Di and Charles 30 years ago and really wants to watch this wedding, so I'm getting up with her to watch it tomorrow.

Yes, I do think that it is a bit over the top that the news won't actually play newsworthy stuff, but in a world where there is all this negativity, I'm happy to see something sweet on(however over the top it is!!)

diana April 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

That's about my level of enthusiasm as well. I don't get what the big deal is. I'll flip through some pictures afterward to see the dress, but that's about it.

nlag April 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM  

I couldn't agree with you more!

BTW...I can't believe how your Nora and my Nora have the same clothes and toys!

basebell6 April 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

I'm normally one that NEVER takes the "girlie side" as one other reader put it. I mean, I found my own wedding planning to be EXTREMELY annoying and irritating. All those details. eh gad. I could've cared less. But I am totally 100% wrapped up in this! CANT WAIT. CANNOT WAIT! Me and Prince William go way back; we were due on the same day, in June 1982. LOL. ;)

Cynthia April 29, 2011 at 7:10 AM  

I'm with you, I couldn't care less about the stupid royal wedding!

Heather April 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM  

Haha...even poor Al was there, he just didn't get much air time...I guess royal weddings aren't his thing. ;) I cringed listening to, "Here's what's happening in this COUNTRY, now let's go to your neck of the woods!" Ahhh~!

Vanessa April 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM  

I love you for posting this. But please sympathise - I live in London and it is all anyone has spoken about for ages and it will never end.

I do appreciate that it is my country and all (I have never understood America's obsession with the Royals) but really, I have well and truly had enough.

Emily S. April 29, 2011 at 11:29 AM  

I absolutely love all of it and while I respect people's aggravation (or rants in this case) of the last few months of coverage and speculation, the whole royal wedding has been such a NICE ESCAPE from all of the bad things that are happening in the world lately. In no way does the royal wedding make me less sad for those who lost their lives in the South. And c'mon, you got married once - doesn't this somewhat bring you back to that wonderful time in your life? It does for me, but I'm a total romantic. And I have always loved the British royals and all of the hoopla. It's so different from what we have here in the states. Anyway, I really hope no one got up at 3am this morning to watch - I got up at 5am and got to see the entire thing before leaving for work!

Wishing on stars April 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

I wanted to get up and watch it this morning but I couldn't do it. The appeal to me was that when I was a little girl my mom would tell me about when she saw princess Diana and prince Charles get married and how exciting it was to see a girl become a princess. This is the kind of stuff we American's only read in fairy tales :-)

I think it's sweet. And her dress was beautiful. And to be honest, I don't mind the break from all of the sad news out there....although, I must admit I HATE when CNN repeats "Breaking News" for mooonnnntthhhhss lol

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP