Apple Spice Cookie Bars

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Oh, Katie. How I love you so.

I know you're probably all wondering whether I make anything other than recipes I find over on Good Things Catered. The answer is yes, just...

...not lately. :)

Last weekend, we had a bit of Indian summer, so it did not feel like fall. This weekend? Fall is back in full force, and it's actually quite refreshing. There are so many things about fall to enjoy, and baked goods is certainly one of them. Tonight, I was in the mood for something good, so after we made dinner, I threw together these apple spice cookie bars from Katie.

I curled up with a few glasses of wine, the Sex and the City movie on DVD, and waited for these babies to come out of the oven (I also enjoyed the baking apple smell!).

And I'm not even kidding when I say that these are the best things I have eaten in a long time. Flavorful, moist, chewy, delicious. BEST. APPLE. DESSERT. EVER.

So good. You must make these. You simply must.

Apple Spice Cookie Bars
(Source: Good Things Catered)

Ingredients:
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- small pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced (about two cups)
- cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9x13 pan with foil and baking spray.

2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

3. In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.

4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine.

5. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

6. Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined.

7. Fold in apples.

8. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

9. Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. (Bars will be very soft.)

4 comments:

Cara October 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

They look great! I was planning to make them last night--I have had them printed off from her site since the second I saw them. Glad to hear they're great! Love your fall colors.

Anonymous,  October 21, 2008 at 7:40 AM  

LOL! I love you too! ;)

Glad you liked them. I love how easy they are. :)

Sarah September 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

I made this over the weekend, and they were excellent. However, they were pretty gooey, like they weren't done all the way. I had them in for 40 minutes. Is this how yours were?

Heather September 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

Sarah--
They should be pretty soft, but I definitely wouldn't describe them as gooey. You may have to cook yours a bit longer. Oven temperatures can vary, so it just may be that yours takes longer to bake them!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP