Happy Halloween

Friday, October 31, 2008

Pretty low-key night for us. We are getting up early tomorrow morning to make the drive to Michael's sister's house for a visit, so we are skipping out on a party being thrown by my brothers. We just had ravioli for dinner, with a few pumpkin ales, and I'm baking. We don't even get any trick-or-treaters. Kinda sad.

Anyway, earlier this week, Chelsey posted something that reminded me of a Halloween costume from my distant past, and I figured I'd share it all with you to celebrate the occasion. Especially since I was an actual bride this year.

When I was six years old, I went to my mom's cousin's wedding. I was completely enchanted by the bride.

I apparently was all excited when her train ran over my foot on her way down or back up the aisle.

I wanted my picture taken with her at the reception.

A few months later came Halloween, and you guessed it... I wanted to be a bride.

My mom has always been really crafty (maybe that's where I get it from??), but she doesn't have time to put the skills to good use anymore. When we were growing up, however, she made our Halloween costumes pretty much every single year.

So the bride? She was up for the challenge. She made me a white satin dress with lace trim, and it even had a detachable train. I wore a communion veil. She made me a bouquet with faux flowers. She even put makeup (totally 80s!) on me. I loved it. Not only did I wear it proudly for trick-or-treating and other Halloween events, but I frequently used the dress to play dress-up and "play wedding" for the following few years.

My mom said that one time, she came upstairs to my bedroom, opened the door, and found me standing there with my brother. The funny part? My brother was the one in the wedding dress. And veil. Poor kid. He was only like 4 years old and apparently I convinced him (or more likely--forced him) into playing wedding with me. My only guess? That day, I wanted to be the wedding planner. :)

Anyway, without further ado, here are a couple pictures:


In this second picture, the "nurse" holding my train is my cousin, Lindsay. I don't know how she acquired the job of keeping after my train, but she did. And you know what's funny? About 20 years after this picture was taken, she had that duty for real. She was my matron of honor at my wedding. :)

Happy Halloween. I hope you all enjoy your weekends. And don't forget to set your clocks back one hour before you go to bed on Saturday night! (Extra hour of sleep, woohoo!)

3 comments:

Anonymous,  October 31, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

That is a super awesome costume! You are really cute! :)

Unknown November 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM  

That costume is impressive, I love it! The train is what makes it extra special. You look adorable, the makeup is a nice touch! Did you save it for you daughter to wear one day? ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP