BOY? Or GIRL?

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I am shamelessly stealing this post directly from Shauna, but substituting in my own answers (obviously). We're in the final countdown, and we might as well fill the time with a little bit of last-minute fun with the guessing the sex of the baby, right?

There are many old wives' tales and "methods" of supposedly figuring out whether the baby is a boy or a girl.

CHINESE GENDER CHARTS:
(These use the mother's age at conception and month of conception to determine the sex)

Chart #1 = BOY

Chart #2 = BOY
Chart #3 = BOY
Chart #4 = GIRL
Chart #5 = BOY

Looks like the charts are pretty consistent! The verdict here is definitely BOY.

The one that is different specifically says to use the mother's "lunar age," which differs from calendar age. So, that one yielded a different result.

I've heard varying things about the accuracy of Chinese gender charts, so I guess we'll see if it works for us or not...

OLD WIVES' TALES:

Mayans
The Mayans determined the sex of the baby by taking the mother’s age at conception, and the year of conception. If both are even or both are odd… it’s a girl. If one is even and one is odd… it’s a boy. I was 27 and it was 2009.
=GIRL

Nausea
The old wives tale is that a girl will make you more nauseous. I didn't have a whole lot of morning sickness. Lucky me!
=BOY

Heart Rate
The old wives tales is if the heart rate is above 140, it’s a girl. If it’s below 140, it’s a boy. The heart rate has consistently been up over 140.
=GIRL

Cravings
The old wives tale is that if you crave sweets, it’s a girl. If you crave sour, it’s a boy. I really haven't experienced very many "cravings" throughout the pregnancy. The only one I ever felt was a true craving was when I couldn't get enough yellow mustard (first trimester). I guess I consider that more "sour," so...
=BOY

Husband’s Weight Gain
The old wives tale is that if your husband puts on weight during the pregnancy, it will be a girl. Michael has most certainly not put on any weight.
=BOY

Acne
The old wives tale is that a girl will cause acne because she is doubling your hormones. I don't have any acne to speak of.
=BOY

Clumsiness
The old wives tales is that if you are clumsier than before, it’s a boy. If you are as graceful as ever, it’s a girl. Definitely not clumsy.
=GIRL

Boobs
The old wives tale is that if your boobs grow a lot, it’s a girl. The boobs are out of control. By the time I was four months pregnant, I had to go out and buy bras in a size that was two band sizes and two cup sizes bigger than normal. And I've since had to buy bra extenders because even those bigger bras grew to be too tight. Annnd when I got measured for a nursing bra a couple of weeks ago? Let's just say I never thought I would see THOSE letters in my bra size.
=GIRL

Sleep
The old wives tale is that if you prefer to sleep on your right side, it’s a boy. If you prefer to sleep on your left side, it’s a girl. God, I would just prefer to SLEEP at this point. Neither position is particularly comfortable; I have to rotate pretty regularly throughout the night. But if I'm sleeping on my side, I generally prefer the right, so...
=BOY

Hands
The old wives tale is that if you have softer hands, it’s a girl. Rougher hands, it’s a boy. My hands are pretty soft!
=GIRL

High or Low
The old wives tale is that if you feel heaviness down low, it’s a boy. If you feel pressure up higher, it’s a girl. I've definitely been carrying this baby high.
=GIRL

The verdict here? Pretty split.
GIRL = 6
BOY = 5

Almost 50/50! Hmmm...

It's only a matter of time before we'll know for sure. Send "labor" thoughts my way, people... I want this baby out! :)

12 comments:

Gia September 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

I had nausea/morning sickness and have been craving sweets like it is nobody's business and have broken out in more zits than I have had in my entire life. But we are having a boy.

BUT the Chinese Gender charts were right for me and several of my friends.

LABOR THOUGHTS!!!!!

Unknown September 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Oh the wives tales lol I craved a TON of sour/salty things in the beginning so I was sure it was a boy, but a couple weeks before our anatomy scan, I started craving sweets. They say if your feet are colder than usual, it's a girl. I had a little acne right in the beginning, but none since. The chinese charts were split. My feet were definitely colder so it made me think girl. Sure enough, she's a GIRL! The wives tales are fun, though :)

Laura,  September 8, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

I think it's actually 6-6 so exactly 50/50!

Have you tried the ring test to see whether it goes in circles or side to side?

Megan September 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

I just went and did all the charts about myself (since I now know I had a girl) and........all were girl but one. I am voting boy for you too!

CaShaun,  September 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

I think you are having a boy. Just a feeling but I will tell you that my feelings are 75% wrong! I am pregnant with my first, due in Feb. and the Chinese charts all say girl... Two weeks until we know for sure! I am sending labor thoughts your way but not until the 13th that is what I predicted in the baby pool and it is my birthday :)

jack+alli September 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

the chinese prediction chart was right for me(boy). i also spit in draino...supposedly if it bubbles and turns dark that means its a boy, and that's what im having!
i'm due the same time as you, it's been fun reading your journey as it's so similar to mine :) good luck!

Sara September 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

I've been reading your blog for quite awhile now and just never commented. (I'm terrible at commenting on blogs!) I've really enjoyed reading about your pregnancy journey. It's been especially interesting because my sister-in-law has been pregnant right along the same path as you. Her due date was September 15th but her water broke about 12:30 last night and she's currently in labor as we speak. Little guy is taking his sweet time so they'd given her Pitocin last update I'd heard.

I hope to hear the same exciting news about you soon! You and Michael are going to be wonderful parents, just the way you write about your baby already and your nephews, there is a lot of love in your lives.

Sending labor-inducing vibes your way! ^_^

Take care.
-- Sara

Ashley September 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

Isn't it fun to agonize over all of these! We just found out at our 20 week a few weeks ago that we are having a boy, but I had obsessed over all these wive's tales beforehand. I was convinced it was a girl because the heartrate has been high the whole time--from high 140s to the 160s. Go figure, it's a boy! Can't wait for you to find out!

Betty,  September 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

I say you're having a boy.
I just have this feeling its a boy and you'll be in labor by this time next week!

Nikki,  September 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

We did the Chinese gender charts too and they all said boy. We ended up having a girl! But I guess it was all in fun. My vote is girl for you! Good luck :)

jlynn September 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

You are so close! My vote goes to - boy! Very excited for you and sending lots of labor dust :)

Anonymous,  September 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

This is such a cute idea! I'm going to have to use this in a few days, as we're finding out in 2 weeks! I think this would be fun to do ahead of time.
I'm a new follower, love your blog!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP