Mini Me

Thursday, September 23, 2010

From the day she was born, it's been clear that Nora is our child. The resemblance is uncanny. Except she's not a mini me... she's a mini him.

Ask almost anyone and they'll say that Nora looks just like her daddy.

The funny thing is that people tell me this, and they say it apologetically. Like I'm going to be upset that my child looks like her father. Um, I chose to have a baby with this man, people. He's my husband. Clearly it's not something to be angry over?

When Nora was born, I wasn't immediately struck by her resemblance to Michael. I was pretty sure she had his nose, and my mouth. Before bed that first night in the hospital, I was lying there, staring at her every feature, and I laughed so hard when I got to her toes, because... they are totally Michael's toes.

But then someone commented on the blog birth announcement, saying she looked just like her daddy, and I thought, "Really?" It wasn't that I disagreed, it was just that I was surprised that someone could see it so clearly and so quickly.

At our first pediatrician's appointment, the doctor approached Nora to examine her and stopped short in her tracks and said, "Oh my!" She took a step back and looked at us, and before saying anything further, inquired, "Who do you think she looks like?" I said, "Everyone keeps telling us she looks like him!" and I motioned to Michael. The doctor said, "YES! EXACTLY like him." :)

I think it's adorable, really. And the more time I spent studying little Nora's features, the more I started to see it. I still think she has my mouth, but that might be just about it... at least for now. I'm curious to see how she develops as she grows.

Last week, I suddenly had a memory of a photo of Michael as a baby, one we had used in our photo slideshow for our rehearsal dinner more than two years ago. In my head, I could see him and, well... he looked just like Nora. Or, rather, Nora looked just like him in the picture. On Saturday, I pulled out the DVD slideshow to take a look, and show my in-laws as well.

I was so, so right. See for yourself:


Nora, 2010

Michael, 1981

Even the fingers are the same. And the hair. I swear, if I didn't know any better, someone could present me with that photo of Michael and I'd think it was my baby girl.

This puts a whole 'nother spin on "Daddy's Little Girl." And I love it. :)

14 comments:

Unknown September 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Wow - they are like twins :)

Unknown September 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

How funny!! I swear our daughter is going to look like my husband. EVERY first-born girl I know looks JUST like their daddy, me included. And Nora just adds to the statistics. I feel like you; of course I won't be mad because obviously I think my hubs is attractive, but it's also so weird to think that my little girl may not look like me! hehe =P

Gia September 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

Definitely a mini-him!!! She is precious.

tab890 September 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

That really is quite the resemblance! Lucie looks JUST like my husband as well.

We noticed that a lot of baby girls look just like their daddys, I'm curious to see how Nora (and Lucie) look as they get older, if they will continue to look more like Dad or Mom.

Anonymous,  September 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

Our daughter also came out looking JUST like my husband! Shortly after she was born, I read somewhere that most babies will resemble their fathers-it's nature's way of ensuring that fathers will stay with and protect momma and baby. Pretty cool, huh? :)

Oh, and I know you're not disappointed about your daughter resembling your husband, but there's still 'hope!'. I was my dad's clone when I was born, but now people can barely tell my mom and me apart!

~Kristen M.

Dana September 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

Wow they even sleep alike. She is surely a daddy's girl.

Cynthia September 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

That is so funny because my Son looks nothing like me, he looks exactly like his Dad! Which of course I don't mind because I married the guy and he is handsome :)

Anonymous,  September 24, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

The do look so similar! Very cute!

Lorena September 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Show us the toes!!! Shes is just so cute!

Amanda September 24, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

No joke, they're so similar! How adorable; your daughter really is precious.
My husband & I are due with our first (a girl)this January. We have some very similar features, so I'm curious to see if she'll resemble one of us more than the other...

Carrie September 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

Awww she is adorable. Emily is a spitting image of my husband as well! People also apologize to me and I don't get it!

ashleigh,  September 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Funny!! When my son was born my sister-in-law said that gabe looked like my husband nick and so did everyone else. but she said that usually a baby looks like the father initally as like a biological thing so that the father knows the baby is his.

Dana September 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

You are a lovely blog and I am giving you an award. Come to my blog to get it.

Carrie,  September 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

When my daughter was born she looked just like my husband also. The day we got home from the hospital I pulled out a picture of him from when he was 2 days old and it was identical. When my mom came over that night I handed it to her and she said "How did you get this?" She thought it was a picture of our daughter!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP