Due Date

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Today is my due date. I would be 40 weeks pregnant today, but instead, I woke up snuggling my 1-week-old baby girl this morning.

Because I gave birth to Nora right at my 39-week mark, I never took a "39 week" pregnancy photo. My last pregnancy photo was at 38 weeks. Still, I thought it would be fun to document the due date by taking a photo, just as I have every week since January.


"40 Weeks" = 1 Week Postpartum

It is so amazing to look at Nora and know that just a week ago, she was curled up inside of me. She still spends a lot of her time with her feet and legs folded up in a way that looks totally uncomfortable, and it's funny to think that those little legs, knees, and feet were poking me in the sides for so long. I look at the way she clasps her hands together and wonder if she did that when she was in the womb. I listen to her hiccups and remember what it was like to feel them from the inside.

And now she is here, and she is beautiful, and I cannot imagine life without her. I am happier than I have ever been. I love her so much it makes me cry. I can't believe a week has already passed, and it actually breaks my heart to think about how fast she will grow. I know that every stage of babyhood/childhood has something to love about it, and I look forward to that--but it is so hard to know that she will never again be this small. It makes me ache. (I'm thinking this is an effect of my out-of-whack hormones, yes?)

OK, with tears in my eyes, I have to talk about something else before I start bawling!

One week after my lightning labor and delivery experience, I am feeling pretty good in terms of recovery. I am still suffering from some pretty annoying tailbone pain, but I'm hopeful that will be improving soon. Everything else seems to be going exceptionally well. I've never had much pain where my stitches are, in fact I never even needed an ice pack in the hospital. As with everything else regarding this pregnancy, I just can't complain!

At my last doctor's appointment on Thursday 9/9, I had gained a total of 26 lbs. Once we were home from the hospital, I weighed myself when I woke up on Tuesday morning, and I was down 14 lbs. When I weighed myself again on Thursday, I was down 19 lbs. I'm pretty happy with my 1-week-postpartum body, but things definitely have a way to go. I tried on my pre-pregnancy jeans the other day, and they actually buttoned--but were a bit too tight to wear comfortably. I'm in a really awkward stage right now, because I am too small for maternity clothes, but my pre-pregnancy pants just don't fit yet. This first week, I've been able to get away with wearing all "comfy clothes," but I do have the itch to wear REAL clothes again. So perhaps I will have to bust out the Bella Band again so I can wear my pre-pregnancy pants.

In other news, I can wear my wedding rings again! After I showered on Tuesday morning, I decided to fish them out of my drawer and see if they fit. Sure enough, they slid right back on my finger. Yay! It took me a few days to actually get used to wearing them again. I'd been without them since 33 weeks.

Not to get all emotional again, but Michael has to go back to work on Monday and I'm already dreading it. It has been so great to be home together as a family. And again, it's another stage of this experience that is coming to an end already. And here I go, about to cry again... HORMONES ARE THE DEVIL.

Nora is doing beautifully--eating well, still sleeping a lot. I love when she spends a good bit of time with her eyes open. I just stare into those blue (I think?) eyes and talk to her. We are all getting about as much sleep as can be expected at this point. I would definitely welcome some longer stretches of sleep at night, but I also don't really mind having the time with her in the middle of the night. You'd think that when you spend a good portion of the night awake, the days would seem so long--but as we progress through the day and night, living from feeding to feeding, the time just flies. Instead of being grateful to be able to fall into bed at the end of every day, I'm actually always a little sad for it to come to a close. Hormones. AGAIN.

With that, I'll leave you with some photos from the last few days. LOVE.

Aunt Melissa and Uncle Andy came to meet Nora today. Aunt Melissa was pretty smitten! :)

All cleaned up to go to a wedding

14 comments:

Anonymous,  September 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Baby Nora is absolutely ADORABLE Heather! Perfect in every way :D

So happy to see you, Nora, and Tessa sleeping peacefully. Such a cute picture! Eeeeeek! :D
I wish I knew you personally just so I could hold your baby girl [sorry, I swear I'm not trying to sound creepy. haha]

Enjoy her every single day. A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for.

sincerely jen September 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

baby nora is beautiful!

I love the pic of nora and tessa sleeping with you :)

Amanda September 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

Congratulations on Nora. She is absolutely gorgeous. I've been following your blog ever since I found your wedding blog and have been hooked ever since.

Noey September 19, 2010 at 1:55 AM  

She is so cute! I especially love the last picture :) Congratulations, Heather! I'm so nerdily ecstatic as a loyal reader that your wish to be a mommy has been fulfilled, so painlessly and swiftly.

jack+alli September 19, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

she is beautiful! i love reading your posts. today is my "guess" date" and i love reading what's to come :)

Carrie,  September 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

I love the sleeping pictures! We have tons of them from my daughters first few weeks of life!
And it sure goes by fast! My daughter just had her half birthday on Friday! I can't believe it's already been 6 months since I was pregnant!
Congratulations! She is adorable!

Cynthia September 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

I love the picture of Tessa sitting on the couch with you, next to her little Sister.

Krystie September 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

That little girl has the sweetest face, and you're absolutely glowing.

If I didn't have baby fever before, I certainly do now!

Wishing on stars September 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

So sweet Heather. I'm sorry the hormones are being unfair. Hopefully it'll wear off soon :-)

Strange thing, on your blog is an ad for Hyatt 10k...I work for them and we just started that program. lol it was just weird to see it on your blog.

Hockey Sticks and Nail Polish September 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

She's so itty bitty, sitting in that chair! :) I'm so happy for you! What a perfect little family. Keep the pictures coming!

Unknown September 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

so sweet!! She's so wide awake in the bouncer, too! Glad you can fit your rings back on. I'm 30 weeks and still hanging on to mine... wonder when they'll have to come off though! =) Beautiful pictures!

Lindsey September 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

you look amazing heather! and nora is simply adorable!

Anonymous,  September 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

You look fantastic! I can't believe you are just a week post-partum! And she is so adorable - those pictures of her on your chest and your husband's chest are so sweet!!!

Amanda September 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

I'm so happy for you guys! Life just seems to great for all of you right now. I love the pic with Nora & Tessa sleeping on you; so cute!!
I also love the idea of keeping up with your weekly pictures; I might have to steal that one :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP