Baby Boredom

Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm six weeks into my maternity leave, and we have six weeks left to go. (Ohmygod, how are we already halfway through? I can't think about it without wanting to cry.)

The first several weeks, it seemed that Nora didn't require much... entertainment. When she was awake (which wasn't very often), she mostly just wanted to eat, or be changed, or be held.

Now, however, I'm starting to feel like I'm boring the crap out of my baby. See?


Totally bored. (But she does have amazing head control! At least I've fostered good muscle development!)

Nora will sometimes have long stretches (2-3 hours) of awake time these days, and well, I just don't know what to do with her. Sure, I can play the "so big" game a few times; I can talk in a high-pitched voice; I can read a couple of books and sing a couple of songs. But um, OK... that occupies like 30 minutes.

The rest of the time, I sit here and feel guilty about how I'm sure there is something that I'm supposed to be doing to stimulate her. Something that I'm supposed to be doing to make sure she doesn't end up as a third grader who picks her nose and doesn't know her ABCs. Right? Surely I'm already screwing her up?

As the next six weeks go by, she's only going to become more and more alert. So moms, teachers, developmental psychologists... I'm sending out an S.O.S. I need ideas here. What am I supposed to be doing to occupy a wide awake six week old?

9 comments:

Heather (West Coast),  October 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

I remember thinking the exact same thing! Funny, though... I can't recall what I used to "do". I think I just held him and talked to him. He was never really interested in toys for quite some time. Only recently is he REALLY in to playing with toys (and he's 6.5 months). Our little guy was just content to stare at mommy and daddy.

One thing through he loved was I would hold up my hand and wiggle my fingers with a light source, such as a window, behind my hand. He would watch that for quite a long time.

s|davis October 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

Go on daily walks when she's awake. Of course weather permitting! ;)

Rachel October 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

I'm so glad that you posted this! I have an almost-9-week-old and I totally feel the same way. I have even sung the ABCs repeatedly to him, just in case I'm already supposed to be doing that! I can't wait to read everyone's responses!

Megan October 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan October 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

Not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I found this article while surfing:

20 Fun Silly Development Boosting Games to Play with Your Baby

Amy October 22, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

We went on walks, to storytime at the library or Barnes and Noble. Elle has an activity mat so we would lay her on that. A friend told me about a website called Productive Parenting. I signed up and get a daily activity to do with her. Some of them are like duh but it at least gives you an idea!

Megumi October 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

I felt the exact same way when my son was young. Don't worry the older they get, the more they can do and you aren't so stumped as to how to stimulate them.

This website has some good ideas:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_lets-play-weekly-activities-for-your-babys-first-year_1501475.

tab890 October 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

We took lots and lots of walks - in the mall, outside, even once at the zoo. The poor thing slept through the whole time her first zoo experience but it was somewhere new to look around when she was awake.

Lucie loved to check herself out in the mirror, especially at this age, now its old news, but when she could "see the baby!" she loved that.

I am also a singer. Not well, but she doesn't mind. Christmas carols, whatever was on the radio at home - We did lots of singing at home while no one else is there :)

Allison P.,  October 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I got to the point where I would just go about my regular routine with her either in a central location where she could pretty much always hear me or in her sling, and I would narrate what I was doing, so she would hear my voice.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP