Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Friday, October 15, 2010

I love adding sliced apples to turkey sandwiches. A couple slices of good wheat bread with turkey, honey mustard, cheddar, lettuce, and sliced apple? That just may be my perfect sandwich.

So when I saw this recipe for caramelized apple grilled cheese sandwiches on Beantown Baker, I knew we would have to try them, too. One night this week, we were looking for an easy dinner, so we whipped up these sandwiches with salads.


And well, they're everything you'd expect them to be. In other words, they're delightful. However, they're like... dessert. They tasted a bit too much like pie to be dinner, in my opinion. Even lunch might be pushing it. But if you're in the mood for a sweet snack, these are your solution.

We used cheddar cheese, because that's what we had, but Jen used gouda with great results, too.

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
(Source: Beantown Baker)

Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 2 thick slices of good cheese (cheddar or gouda work well)
- 2 slices of good bread
- 1 Tbsp. butter

Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

2. Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly.

3. Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

4. Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

2 comments:

Jen October 17, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

I could see them being too dessert like for you... I think that's what I liked best about it ;)

I will let you know that Hubby and I made these again except we used 1 apple for 2 sandwiches and added bacon. He LOVED that variation.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP