Pinning

Friday, July 29, 2011

Surely everyone must be at least semi-familiar with Pinterest by now, right?


If you ARE familiar, are you registered (and therefore addicted) yet? Or have you been holding out, and have not yet checked it out for yourself?

If you AREN'T familiar, have you been living under a rock? (Relax; I'm KIDDING!)

I feel like I need to fulfill my duty to spread the Pinterest love. Because, well, Pinterest is pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread. (In fact, I wish I had thought of it. I'd probably be well on my way to being a rich woman right now.)

You know the "Bookmarks" folder in your browser that is full of random websites, half of which you're not sure why you bookmarked in the first place, until you click on them again?

You know the "starred posts" in your Google Reader, that are terribly unorganized?

You know the searches you do in Google images, when you're desperate for inspiration?

Pinterest is the answer to all of these things. Pinterest is bookmarks + starred posts + Google images + a smidge of a Facebook feed thingy-majig. It's awesome. Trust me.

When you first log in, this is the landing page that you see. This is the "Facebook feed thingy-majig" that I am talking about. Here, you see all of the recent "pins" that have been posted by the people you "follow."
So here, I see my friend Jenn has pinned (a.k.a. bookmarked) a recipe for quinoa salad, as well as a style board for an outfit that is inspiration for fall. Kate over at This Place is Now a Home has pinned a few fabric samples that she plans to use for throw pillows and bar stools. If I, too, like any of these things--take the quinoa salad recipe, for example--I can "repin" the recipe to my own boards (read: "folders" for your bookmarks).

Here is what my board set-up currently looks like:
Currently, I have boards for categories such as "Nora," and "Recipes to Try," "For the Home," "Crafty," "Kitchen Makeover," "Parties," "Photography," and "Travel." As I browse through the photos pinned by all of the people I follow, I can repin their items to my own boards for future reference. It doesn't stop there, though. If I'm browsing around on the internet, and come across something I want to save, I can pin that page to my boards as well, by selecting "Add" then "Pin," and entering the URL. Cool, huh?

When bored, you can also look at ALL of the recent pins on Pinterest--not just the pins from the people you follow. That's a fun way to find random inspiration, I assure you! Looking for something specific? You can SEARCH Pinterest as well.

You pin things to your board using images that are on that particular web page. So, when you go back to look for something later, it's easy to find, thanks to the image and the description you choose to put underneath. Want ideas for dinner? Go to your recipes board, and drool as you scroll through all of the photos you've pinned. Find something you're in the mood for? Click on it, and you will be taken back to the source of the photo, so you can easily access the recipe you need.

The best way to familiarize yourself with it and get the hang of it is just to sign up and try it out! For some reason, Pinterest still requires an invite in order to log in. If you are interested and don't have an invite, feel free to leave your e-mail address in the comments and I'll send you one. Please be patient with me through the weekend, though, as I *might* not get to the invites until late Sunday or Monday.

If you are on Pinterest and would like to "follow" me, click here. I would love to have some new people to follow as well.

Questions? Still not sure what the heck Pinterest is all about? Ask away in the comments, and I will do my best to answer (or maybe some of my Pinterest-obsessed readers can help out as well).

PIN ON! :)

26 comments:

Kimberley July 29, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

i'm addicted. pure love!

Andrea W. July 29, 2011 at 8:47 AM  

Pintrest is one of the most addictive things I've found on the internet. It's a great way to find inspiration for outfits, recipes, decor, and anything else I wasn't looking for!

Anne Marie July 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM  

I am absolutely obsessed. It's the biggest procrastinating tool since facebook :)

Unknown July 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

Can you use Pintrest if you are not on Facebook? Yes, I know I am one of the last holding out on Facebook!!
kmd9174@gmail.com

Becky July 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM  

I have poked around there before, but haven't registered yet. We are going to be doing a kitchen remodel soon, so I NEED inspiration. Thanks for the invite!

scraptapulous@gmail.com

Sara July 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM  

Actually hadn't heard from it and sound like exactly what I'm interested in! Please sent me an invite! :)

sarachrystine@gmail.com

Stephanie July 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM  

I've been holding out, but I think you finally convinced me to try it! Is there anyway you could send me an invite?

stephladams@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Vanessa July 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM  

This is AMAZING!

I have never heard of it! Please could I have an invite?

balabustablog@gmail.com

really excited about this!

Gretchen July 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

Hey Heather just wanted to let you know, in case you didn't want it visible to everyone...you can see your first and last name on pinterest when you follow your board, I don't know how you change the privacy settings. Just a heads up!

Heather July 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM  

Lots of pinning/following going on... Love it!

@Gretchen--thanks for the heads up. I think I fixed it now?

Anonymous,  July 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM  

This looks amazing! I'd love an invite. katie_akiko@yahoo.com

Anonymous,  July 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM  

Hmmm interested



Brittannymiller@hotmail.com

Gillian July 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

Looks awesome! I'd love an invite!

west.gillian@gmail.com

Christine July 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM  

I just started using it - and you are right - it is so fun and addicting! I love it!

Justine July 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

Thanks for this post!! I've been wondering what the "big deal" is.... If you have anymore invites I'll take one!! Justine.Bator@gmail.com Thanks. :)

Anonymous,  July 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM  

I would aslo like to check out Pintrest. Please send me an invite when you get a moment.

shanique.young@gmail.com

GVK July 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM  

I would love an invite if you have any available. Thanks Heather!
-Grace
grace.vankirk@gmail.com

Anonymous,  July 29, 2011 at 9:55 PM  

Please send me an invite.

maribeth.richards@yahoo.com

Mala,  July 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM  

Never heard of it but I wanna check it out.

Mossnmala@hotmail.com

Beth July 30, 2011 at 4:07 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth July 30, 2011 at 4:08 AM  

This looks awesome...you had me at the unorganized posts of Google Reader! ;)

I'd love an invite!
bmaes20@gmail.com

Thanks Heather! :)

Vanessa August 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM  

Thank you do much for the invite! I can tell I'm going to get hooked! I can't wait to sit down at my laptop and play, I'm having some technical issues with pinning on the iPhone. Love your boards, I've stolen some of your pinned recipes! Thanks do much again, I do appreciate it xx

Jen August 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM  

I've been holding off for as long as possible. I figure I don't need another website to suck up my time. But I figure eventually I'll cave and end up on there...

Caroline,  August 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM  

I've been seeing pinterest posts in a lot of the blogs I follow, and it seems like a good idea since my bookmarks and google reader are a mess. Do you have any more invites? If so, I would love one: ccastellino[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks!

Giana August 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM  

Sounds interesting. Can i have an invite? Thanks!

jiena27@yahoo.com

Anonymous,  August 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM  

Could you please send me an invite? Thanks! ericaswalton[at]gmail[dot]com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP