Saturday, July 16, 2011
I recognize that this sounds weird. You're just going to have to trust me on this one.
My cousin started making this baked potato pizza for family gatherings a few years back--now, pretty much every time we have a potluck-style party, she brings it, because everyone always gobbles it up.
When we were having a potluck lunch at work, I perused a ton of recipes before I finally decided to go with something tried and true--even though *I* had never made it myself! A quick text to my cousin for help on the amount of potatoes, and it was a done deal.
This is as easy to make as the mashed potatoes, because once they're done, this comes together really quickly. I bought a pre-made crust from the pizza department at our grocery store. If you don't have something similar, you could use a Boboli or the like. Or, if you don't mind a little extra work, you can use any pizza dough--store-bought or homemade. Just make sure to pre-bake the crust for a bit before putting on the toppings!
Although many of my coworkers were all, "Whaaat?" when I told them what this was, the finished product won them over. It'll win you over, too.
Baked Potato Pizza
(Source: Unknown. Shared by my cousin, Lindsay!)
- Pre-made pizza crust, or your favorite dough, pre-baked (16" is a good size)
- 4-5 russet potatoes
- milk, butter, salt, pepper, garlic, sour cream, etc. (for mashed potatoes)
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 strips bacon (I use turkey bacon)
- sliced green onions, for topping
1. Peel potatoes and cut into similar-sized cubes. Place into a pot, then fill pot with water until potatoes are submerged (water line should be about 1" above the potatoes). Heat over medium-high heat until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2. While potatoes are cooking, make the bacon according to package instructions (microwave or frying pan). Set aside to cool.
3. Drain potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or electric mixer. Add milk, butter, salt pepper, garlic, sour cream, etc. to taste. (Just make your favorite mashed potatoes!)
4. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over crust. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Crumble bacon and spread it over the pizza. Top with sliced green onions.
5. Bake according to the directions for your pizza crust.
6. Cut into party squares and enjoy!