Chewy Gingerbread Cookies

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I've baked more in the past few weeks than I have in a really, really long time. So here I am, after Christmas, still with a recipe to post! I know it doesn't do anyone much good now--if you're anything like me, you're overloaded on sweets and the last thing you want to see is another cookie. But give it a few weeks, and maybe you'll be in the mood for a good gingerbread cookie again.

A chewy gingerbread cookie. These were actually my favorite new find this year.


One of the best parts was that I didn't even have to look for it. This cookie landed in my lap in the kitchen at work a few weeks ago and one bite into it, I was sold and e-mailing a coworker to share the recipe.

They're that perfect mix of spicy and sweet that only gingerbread can offer, and the soft, chewy center was what really won me over. I could take or leave crunchy gingersnaps, but these? These are too good to pass by.
Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
(Source: Unknown)

Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg

Directions:
1. Stir together the first 6 ingredients.

2. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and beat well with a hand mixer.

3. Add dry ingredients to the beaten mixture, beating well. Form small balls (about 1" or larger if you want bigger cookies) and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 10 minutes until tops of cookies begin to "crinkle"! Check at 8 minutes, and continue baking if necessary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP