A Six Pack o' Reindeer

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

OK, so... looking back (here and here), it appears as though I was really into reindeer this year. Again, I blame Pinterest.

As part of their gifts this year, we gave six packs of beer to my brothers, my father-in-law, and our brother-in-law. But they weren't just ANY six packs, you see. Each bottle of beer was dolled up with antlers, a couple of eyes, and a puffy red nose.


They were damn cute and FESTIVE, too! And really easy to make.

The antlers are brown pipe cleaners, cut to maybe about 8 inches long or so. I figured out the right length by experimenting a little bit, then just copied that length for the rest of them. The pipe cleaner is just twisted around the bottle neck, just under the cap. I didn't have any problems with it staying in place. Then, I cut little pieces to make additional points on the antlers, wrapping the shorter pieces around the longer ones.

The eyes are googly eyes, and the nose a red pompom. Both (as well as pipe cleaners) can be found in the kids' craft section at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, etc. I attached the eyes and nose to the bottles using a hot glue gun.
Some brands of beer are better than others for this project. For instance, it wasn't until I sat down to do it that I realized that the "neck labels" on Yuengling wrap all the way around the neck--not leaving me any blank space to glue the faces. So, I had to rip off the little labels, which didn't make for the best looking six-pack. And the Land Shark reindeer, while cute, didn't look as nice as the ones on the dark brown bottles. We bought the types of beer based on our recipients' preferences, so it didn't much matter to us--but it's just something to keep in mind if you're not sure which kind of beer to buy for this project.

All in all, it was cheap to turn these six packs into reindeer, and didn't take much time, either. It made for a nice little gift for the beer drinkers in our lives. And if you want to make them for someone who doesn't drink alcohol--the original pin on Pinterest actually used a six pack of root beer bottles, too, so that's an option.

That sums up my Christmas crafting this year. Unfortunately, I didn't get to all of the ones I wanted; I'll have to save some of them for next year!

Did you do any crafts for the holidays? Did they come out like you'd hoped? Did you find that others (or your recipients, if they were gifts) appreciated your efforts?

5 comments:

Kari December 29, 2011 at 8:03 AM  

Love it!! I'm loving the Yuengling too! It's a precious commodity around here...it's not sold in Indiana. Thankfully it IS sold in Ohio so we only have to drive 35 minutes to get it! hahahaha

Mom December 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

The googly eyes remind me of the time your brother got one stuck in his nose when he was 4.

Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife December 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

These are great! And I love that my favorite beer is represented...Yuengling. You must be in my neck of the woods (NJ/PA/DE). My grandparents actually grew up in the town Yuengling is brewed in. I even cook with Yuengling...that's how much I love it.

My only craft gift this year were two yarn wreaths with felt flowers. One for each of my husband's grandmothers.

Annie January 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM  

Cute! Gotta love Pinterest.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP