Things that make you go... Wow, I'm old.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I saw this "40 Things That Will Make You Feel Old" list circulating around on Facebook and elsewhere on the web today.

First, I feel the need to add a disclaimer that I don't actually think I'm old. So, all of you out there who happen to be older than me, do not take offense. :) But when we all sit back and reminisce about how much things have changed, and how fast time has passed, we're all bound to feel "old" sometimes, right?

There are a few things off the top of my head that have made me feel old recently. One was finding out that Adele (the singer/songwriter) was born in 1988. NINETEEN-EIGHTY-EIGHT, y'all. W...T...F. I never paid much attention to her album titles of "19" and "21," so I just never really knew how old she was. And well, to know she's only 23--that's just crazy.

Getting together with my friends from college this fall, and realizing that we had all known each other for 11 years? OLD. Because it REALLY doesn't feel like freshman year was that long ago. Or that I graduated from college 7.5 years ago. I mean, really?

I always feel old at Christmastime when we pull out our classic movies. Christmas Vacation was made in 1989, and Home Alone--which I actually saw in the theater--was made in 1990. These movies are 20+ years old. How is that even possible?

As for the "40 Things That Will Make You Feel Old" list, I wasn't all that surprised about any of the ages of the 90s childhood stars/music groups. Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, Boy Meets World, Full House, Clarissa? They're all around the ages that I expected them to be. I did find the whole "Kurt Cobain has been dead for 17 years thing" to be a bit shocking.

It was hysterical to be reminded of what the America Online interface looked like back in the day. I remember having a monthly plan that had LIMITED MINUTES. We used to keep a post-it note by the computer that you had to record your minutes on when you signed off. It would say, "You were online for 19 minutes" or whatever, and we'd write "19" down so that we could add it to our running total to make sure we weren't going over. Can you even imagine that now?

And the save button (#1 on the list)? It took me a minute to even comprehend what that was talking about. Then it hit me. That's a floppy disk. Today's kids have probably never even seen one. Sheesh. I also laughed at the "Be Kind, Please Rewind" sticker. We used to have to REWIND rental movies before we returned them? I hadn't thought about that in a while. Wow.

What do you think of the list? What are the things that make you feel old (on or off the list)?

6 comments:

Kimberley December 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM  

the class of 2000 are 29 yrs old!! that amazes me. i graduated in 1994. LOL! :)

Rachael December 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM  

Oh, my, goodness - that article definately makes me feel old - and at the same time I learned something new! I'm only 3 years younger than Topanga! That coulda been me =) LOL

Good post Heather! I needed a little trip down memory lane =)

Sending you sunshine,

Rachael @ You, Me and Natalie

Anonymous,  December 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM  

I heard a Nelly song on the radio the other day and realized it was from the year I graduated HS....almost 15yrs ago! That blew my mind!

Amy December 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM  

almost everything, I am older than you--so most of these things were collge or after college for me. My current students were born when I graduated college and have no memories of Columbine or Bill Clinton. And not to mention they think Elle is my granddaughter,because in their reality I am as old as their grandparents.

basebell6 December 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

loved that list!! when i saw the hanson's kids i was like "AWWWWHHHH!!" super cute!

Cynthia December 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM  

Holy crap, that DID make me feel old!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP