Saturday, December 24, 2011
To all those who celebrate, Merry Christmas Eve!
This morning, when I was in that brief state between sleep and awake, I actually thought it was Thanksgiving Day. That just goes to show how quickly Christmas sneaked up on me this year. But the gifts are wrapped, cookies are baked, and I need to throw this post up and then go get ready for Christmas Eve Mass before dropping by the in-laws and then dinner with my grandma, aunt, and uncle at my mom's. Wheeee!
These cookies are another gift from Pinterest. It's a basic peanut butter cookie turned into a reindeer. Gotta love Pinterest.
What I like about these cookies is that they are "decorated," but wayyy easier than the traditional cookie cutouts. Although I'd love to put together some beautifully frosted cutouts, I just didn't have the time again this year--and these little guys came together from dough to finish in just an hour or two. So if you're looking for something to make last-minute as you prepare for Santa's arrival tonight, whip up a batch of these. But hurry and get to the store, you're running out of time! :)
Peanut Butter Reindeer Cookies
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate-covered mini pretzels
- Mini brown M&Ms
- Regular-sized red M&Ms (we used peanut M&Ms)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine brown sugar, peanut butter, shortening, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg; beat until just blended.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
4. Form dough into 1- to 1.5-inch balls. To make reindeer-shaped cookies, pinch the bottom of the ball slightly to form a point, then gently flatten with your hand. Space cookies about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes, until set or just beginning to brown.
5. Remove from oven and immediately (and gently) press two mini pretzels into the tops of the cookies for the reindeer's antlers. Press two mini brown M&Ms in for the eyes and one red M&M for the nose.
6. Allow to cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack or paper towel to cool completely.