Cupcake Bites

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Yesterday, one of my lovely internet friends, Crafty Bitch, mentioned that she was planning to make Cupcake Bites. Once clicking through to the link, I realized I had been to that blog before, and had admired the cake bites... I had just completely forgotten about them.

But I did want to give them a try, and since I had nothing planned for tonight, I figured--what better way to start off the 5-day weekend? (Besides wine, of course.)

If you haven't already, definitely take the time to check out all of the stuff that Bakerella has done, though. She's really talented, and she was even asked to be on Martha Stewart. Impressive, to say the least.

Aren't they cute?

Anyway, I went to Michael's, bought a candy mold and some candy melts, baked a cake, and gave these a try. They were time consuming, but not as bad as I was thinking they would be.

As far as how they taste though... don't expect to eat more than one! They are really sweet. We're bring them to a party tonight, and I hope people like them.

I didn't take pics throughout the process, so if you want to make your own, the best thing to do would be to go and browse Bakerella's blog.


Working with the melted chocolate wasn't as tough as I thought it might be. I bought the little squeeze bottles, which were helpful for getting the chocolate for the bottom part of the "cupcake" into the mold.

I did get a little bit frustrated sometimes because my fingers are kind of clumsy... I kept accidentally sticking my fingers into the wet chocolate tops when trying to set them down on a cookie sheet to dry.

I was looking to make mine with Thanksgiving colors, so instead of M&Ms, I used Reese's Pieces for the garnish on the top--they are the perfect colors! :)

Here you can see the inside of my cupcake bites. I used french vanilla cake and vanilla frosting. The consistency seems a little bit off compared to Bakerella's... not really sure where (or if) I went wrong.

They are definitely tasty, but just much more rich than I imagined. Much more like candy than like cake, for sure.

No more work for the rest of the week. I am so excited for the break. I am going to be doing a lot of baking over the next few days, so stay tuned for more photos and a few recipes.

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

2 comments:

noisy penguin November 26, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

These turned out super cute! I keep seeing these on the Cupcakes Take the Cake blog, but I'm not sure whether I have the patience to make them.

jen! November 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

Those look really yummy. I love Bakerella. I was drooling over her blog the other day!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP