April (Snow) Showers

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

**rubbing eyes**

When I look at the date at the top of this post, I could swear it says April 7. And HA! That's just funny.

What?

Oh. So, wait... it does say April 7?

How can that be? Surely, if it was really April 7, I wouldn't have seen all of this when I was going into work this morning:

I mean, look at that. It can't be April. Plus, I was rudely awakened by the sounds of a neighbor scraping ice off of his windshield this morning. That doesn't happen in April.

Alright, alright... so it IS April, and we DID have snow and blustery cold this morning. I'm just choosing to live in denial half of the time, and the other half of the time, I'm being a bitter betty. Because frankly? This sucks. Unfortunately, it's a reality here in Western New York.

People around these parts often talk about a legendary Mother's Day snowstorm. (Yes, Mother's Day. You know, that holiday that happens to take place in the middle of MAY.) I have no memory of such a thing, but they swear it happened. It's possible that it was so traumatic, my brain has suppressed the memory to protect my sanity.

This past winter was particularly awful, so I'm trying not to complain about the seemingly-moody spring we are having. Anything is better than the winter we just had. But I'm having trouble here. I want warm weather so badly, it's hard to focus on anything BUT the weather.

We've enjoyed occasional 60 degree, beautiful, sunny days for which I have been tremendously grateful. The problem is that more often than not, that weather is gone in an instant (literally overnight in some cases), and then we are blasted with another 30 degree, dreary, rainy/snowy day. NOT COOL, Mother Nature. NOT COOL.

Years ago, I was forwarded an e-mail titled, "You Know You're in Western New York When..." One of the items that--according to the list--lets you know you're in Western New York?

You can get sunburn and frostbite in the same day.

And I'm here to let you know that it's true. SO true.

3 comments:

Sarah April 8, 2009 at 5:31 AM  

See, coming from the tropics as I do, I read that post and bumped Western New York to the top of the list of places where I want to live. I run around like a small child when we get so much as 1cm of snow here!

Anonymous,  April 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Iowa is the same way. We just got an inch of snow on Saturday- freezing cold and windy on sunday and now here we are back up in the high 50's.

Cara April 8, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

That was us last weekend. Yuck! It's 70 here though today..I think KS weather sounds just about the same as NY though..I think we all think it's only in our area!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP