Crybabyitis

Thursday, February 18, 2010

After 20 seasons, "Survivor" is still on the air. Somehow, some way... it keeps people coming back for more. Someone has to be watching it. Actually, considering the show's success, I'm guessing it's a lot of someones.

Alright, alright... I'll confess.

I'm one of them. I just can't help myself.

Surely I'm not the only one. Anyone else out there care to admit that they are still into "Survivor"?
I started watching during the first season, when I was a senior in high school. It was on throughout the entire summer, and I distinctly remember sitting down with my entire family to watch it every week. The finale was on shortly before I left for college, and I was pretty much hooked.

At some point along the way, I did give it up for a while. There have been a handful of seasons that, for one reason or another, I couldn't get into and skipped watching altogether.

Still, when you've watched as many seasons as I have, it's always great when they do something like this season--Heroes vs. Villains. I loooove when they bring back all the old players to do it again.

The first All-Star season (back in 2004!) was one of my favorite seasons ever. I had never seen Boston Rob before, since Marquesas was one of the seasons I didn't watch. But in All-Stars, I quickly grew to love him as he controlled the game, continuously managed to get people on his side only to back-stab them later, and somehow managed to make Amber fall in love with him in the process. In short: a great, great player. I even went on to watch Rob and Amber compete on "The Amazing Race," rooting for them all the way.

So you can imagine how pleased I was when I saw that he'd be coming back for Heroes vs. Villains. And tonight, Rob was particularly glorious. A couple of my favorite Rob moments:

"Again, again, again... I'm on the buffoon tribe."

"When I finally came to, I had a moment of clarity. And that was: stop trying to be the good guy. Because I’m trying to be so good, I physically made myself sick. Just do what everybody wants you to do and be the villain. The doctors checked me out, basically told me I have the flu and a little bitty case of crybabyitis. But now I gotta start smacking ‘em into shape."

This one from Courtney gave me a chuckle, too: "Boston Rob is the bright shining star and he gets so frustrated with these fools. I hope he doesn't drop dead in the next few days because we will all die!"

I've definitely been finding myself rooting for the Villains, even though I can't stand half the people on their tribe (Jerri, Randy, and Coach--although I have to admit that Coach has proved to not be nearly as annoying this season).

Also, I've been surprised how my opinions about some of my "favorites" are changing. Take James, for instance. I loved him in his previous seasons, probably because he is so adorably dumb. But last night, he was ridiculously hot-headed, and although I didn't disagree with him, his temper was a little much. Rupert has been pathetic and annoying as hell. And although I really liked Sugar during her season, I was not sad to see her be the first to go this time around.

Anyway, only two episodes into the season, I'm excited to have all of the familiar faces back in the game, and can't wait to see how this all shakes out.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  February 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

I've never commented on your blog before, but I've been reading for months!

Survivor is the one show I wish I could turn myself off of, but it's impossible. My family and I have watched it together every week since the first season. I also missed a few seasons here and there due to college classes or before we got a DVR, but now that I'm back home it's back to our weekly Survivor dates.

The thing I love about the All-Star seasons is that you don't have to take much time to get to know people. We already know Coach, JT, Jerri, etc - sure their personalities for this season are going to emerge, but to an extent we know how they will act/react to different situations.

There are so many favorites here that I'm not sure who to side with yet. I think it's going to take me a few weeks to see how everyone settles into the game before I make my favorites.

It's always nice to see another Survivor fan out there - all of my college friends thought I was ridiculous for watching! Have a great weekend!

Lindz

Anonymous,  February 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

Holy cow, that was like a book! I'm so sorry!

Dana February 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

I think that people continue to watch it because we are all amazed at some of things that they do like eat roaches, swim with sharks, lay on the beach naked and the over all manipulation of the players. You have to be a skilled and tough player to be on this show.

Katie February 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

I'm rooting for the Heroes and despite James' crazy rant, I still drool over him in every episode.

On the villains, I like Boston Rob.

P.S. Did I ever tell you I think you look like Am-buh?? :-)

Moya February 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

Left something for you on my blog:)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP