Frito Pie

Monday, February 8, 2010

I've told you all about frito pie, haven't I?

Sure I have. In this post about our vacation in Austin in December. It was when we first "discovered" frito pie (thanks, Texas).

From the moment we first tried it, we knew that it would make an excellent Super Bowl dish. Sooo... what do you know? I made it yesterday for the Super Bowl.


Last week, I did some Google searches and found that a "recipe" wasn't really needed. I used some of the tips and information gathered, but I sort of improvised. It really doesn't get much more simple than fritos, chili, cheese, and jalapenos. And for those who might be inexperienced with frito pie, it's best served with a spoon, and eaten with forks. :)

This was a huge hit with our Super Bowl crowd, so I'm sure I'll be making it for years to come!

Frito Pie

Ingredients:
- 2 bags Fritos
- 2 cans Hormel chili (with or without beans--your choice, but I used one of each)
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced jalapenos
- green onions

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cover the bottom of a large baking dish with a thick layer of Fritos (I used almost a whole bag). On top of the Fritos, spread one can of the chili. Top with about half of your shredded cheese.

3. Add another layer of Fritos, topped with the second can of chili, and spread the remainder of the cheese on top of everything.

4. Place sliced jalapenos on top, and sprinkle with sliced green onions.

5. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

MB February 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

mmmmm, I love Frito pie. But I always need an excuse (like football) to make it. It just can't be justified as a normal weeknight meal. :)

Anonymous,  February 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

man, three recipes on the same day! (somehow the giant cookie counts as a recipe, haha) I just made some of that "sauce + meat" meat sauce to make lasagna, I may definitely use yours next time! looks splendid!

Heather February 8, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Mrs.B--We've had chili cheese nachos for dinner before (which is essentially the same thing), but VERY rarely. Like you say, it's hard to justify. I always like to make the "bad" things when I'm taking them somewhere, so I'm not eating ALL of it!

Bluewhitelife--I know, sorry for overloading you with food today, but I had to catch up from the weekend! I didn't have any time to blog. :( Enjoy the meat sauce!

Erin February 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

Looks so fancy on a plate! Love it right out of the bag with a plastic fork...no dishes!

Who Dat?

Jen February 8, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

Looks great. Frito pie is so good and def would be perfect for a Superbowl party.

Kelly Loy Gilbert February 9, 2010 at 5:31 AM  

Oh, man. That looks ... so disgusting, and so, so good at the same time. I might have to try this next time I have a good reason. ;) Even if it reminds me of http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/. (Which to be honest is kind of a compliment, because every time I look at that site there's a ton of stuff that looks GOOD to me.)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP