Top Chef - Las Vegas

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

top-chef-season-6-about by you.
Photo Source: BravoTV.com

Now I know the end of summer is really near. Why? Because Top Chef is back! As far as I'm concerned, there are only two things to look forward to about end of summer:
1) Football, and 2) The return of good TV.

And Top Chef is kicking it off in style, because they're in Vegas!

I'm not even sure why I love Top Chef. It's certainly not the food, as I'm a picky eater and there's no way I'd eat half the stuff they make. But for some reason, I still love watching them make it all, and of course, I enjoy all the drama that comes along with the competition.

The first episode is always interesting because all of the chefs are new and I don't have opinions about any of them yet. This is about to change, because I'm going to turn on the show and let them make their first impressions.

I apologize in advance to anyone who doesn't watch and therefore, doesn't care, but I'm going to blog as I watch the show (I've got nothing better to do tonight!). Let's see how this goes, shall we?

Oh, and just a warning... if you haven't watched but plan to, and don't want any spoilers, you should probably stop reading now, eh? Don't say I didn't warn you.

First of all, yayyyy Vegas!

OK, I'm about 10 minutes in now, and I still don't know anybody's names. But holy tattoos, Batman! Seems like there are a lot of inked people this season.

I love Tom Colicchio. That is all.

Showgirls? Seriously?

Time for a relay race! Eeeeek, blood already. OK, what's up with the woman who has no idea how to shuck clams? Why wouldn't you speak up instead of screwing your team over? So stupid.

Jesse's pierced face is distracting. I like listening to Mattin talk. I'm digging the brothers (are they twins? I can't tell them apart!).

Interesting quickfire, but let's get to the elimination challenge. Guest judge Wolfgang Puck. Awesome.

Whole Foods. The guy who is sticking his nose right into the fish, and opening and sifting through the salad greens, is freaking me out. Gross. Did that Puerto Rican dude just ask the employee if they carry cigars? At Whole Foods? HA.

I always like the frantic kitchen scenes. It's interesting to see them experience the time crunch for the first time. They always under/overcook everything, don't get it plated, etc. So many mistakes.

GAIL! Gail is back this season. Thank the lord. That replacement judge last season, the one with the absolutely horrible similies and metaphors? HE WAS KILLING ME. I *heart* Gail, though.

Wolfgang Puck just said he'd like to throw a guy into the fryer. Hehehe.

How is spending 27 days at sea traveling from Haiti to the U.S. a vice? I don't get it. Is this girl kidding me with her bacon doughnuts? Apparently the judges agree with me, as Wolfgang just launched a piece of doughnut at a cameraman. I love it. Oh, and that chile dish looks absolutely disgusting. That group bombed.

They called the winners for each group; I'm kind of surprised by them. This Jennifer woman is off to a strong start, after winning the quickfire and making the top four in the elimination challenge. Touchy-feely-with-the-food-in-Whole-Foods guy (who I now know is named Kevin) is the winner this week. Hmph.

Now for the bottom four... not surprised by any of the people who landed there. I think disgusting chile girl is going home. I love the pressure the judges put on all of the chefs, and how honest they are with their critiques. They aren't holding anything back, even at the beginning. Awesome. Is Jesse going to cry?? Please, woman. Hold it together.

Deliberation is done; time to get down to business. Who has to pack their knives and go? Annnnd... commercial. Of course.

And we're back. DISGUSTING CHILE JENN! I called it, although I think it was pretty obvious. Her dish didn't even look like it was real food.

And so wraps the first episode of Top Chef - Las Vegas.

At the beginning of every season, I find myself missing some of the personalities from the last. This time around, I'm missing Fabio and Carla. But as always, as the episodes go on, people eventually grow on me and make it an entertaining season. The first few episodes are always a little awkward because I can't remember names and don't have anybody to "root" for yet. I'm sure that'll be changing soon.

So, now that the premiere is over, tell me... Who's watching? What did you think? Who are your favorites (so far)?

4 comments:

kylee August 19, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

i'm watching! i'm determined to watch all of them this season. in the past i got so busy with school i forgot to keep up with it and ended up watching them all in marathon form at some point.

Anonymous,  August 20, 2009 at 6:25 AM  

I am also thrilled that Gail has returned, instead of the British dude who overuses metaphors. He was ridiculous.

I haven't found a Fabio or Carla yet (although do you watch Top Chef Masters? Not quite as entertaining, but Fabio made a 'cameo' last week), but we'll see what the next few weeks hold. :)

AND Project Runway returns tonight (Thursday)...Tim Gunn FTW!

~Kristen M.

Amanda August 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

I did the same thing with my blog, well at least made a mention of Top Chef. I'm liking the season already. I may be wrong, but I think the lady who was told to go home was the same one who didn't want to unpack her bags in the room for fear of bad luck.

h August 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

An average 8-year-old who'd never seen a clam in their life would get more done than what's her name.

It's not that hard.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP