Hearts & Soles

Thursday, August 6, 2009

One of my very bestest friends at work, Diane, is leaving me. She's one of the ladies I used to share an office space with (before we were all separated back in April). But now it's worse. You see, she's not just leaving the company.

She's moving. To Virginia.

*sob*

Today was the first in a series of goodbyes to her. Another coworker hosted a party at her house to send off Diane and her husband. The guest list was basically a large list of coworkers that she was semi-close to... so not just the closest friends, but not everybody, either. Tomorrow, during work hours, there will be the everybody goodbye party (since tomorrow is Di's last day). Then, next week, us 5-6 closest girls are getting together for one last lunch before the actual move. Now THAT is going to be when it gets REALLY sad.

But I'm not going to think about that right now.

When I heard we'd be throwing a little goodbye bash for Diane, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I had been planning to make them for her at some point anyway, but this gave me the perfect excuse to stop procrastinating.

I wanted to make her some sugar cookies cutout into the shape of one of her favorite things--shoes. And I wanted to make them super girly, just like my lil' Di. So... pink and purple, then!

IMG_0345rs by heatherkj11.

I outlined and filled in with pink or purple icing, then while it was still wet, squeezed little polka dots of the opposite color onto each cookie. Once they dried a bit, I finished off each one with little sprinkles that I happened to have on hand from Christmas cookies. I thought the sprinkles really completed them.

I pretty much threw the icing on these last night (since I waited until the last minute!), so it's not my neatest icing job ever, but I was pretty happy with how they came out.

IMG_0348rs by heatherkj11.

And well, they were a hit at the party, and perfect for our guest of honor. People keep telling me I'm Martha Stewart... I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult. (KIDDING. I know they mean it as a compliment. I'm flattered.)

I was happy to do these for my dear friend. I'm absolutely going to miss her and am sort of still in denial that she's leaving. :(

But she should keep her eyes on the mail in the coming months. I just may come up with some other fabulous cookies to send in a care package...

4 comments:

Vanessa August 7, 2009 at 2:54 AM  

You are fabulous and I've left you an award on my blog (second newest post). These are gorgeous! I'm pretty crafty/arty but my first (and only - I have been scarred) attempt at sugar cookies was HIDEOUS!

Melissa August 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

You really have a niche there! I love seeing all your baking. I wish you lived near me, because Id hire you!

Sorry your friend is moving :(

Katie August 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

Heather, these are so cute! Where do you find your cookie cutters??

Heather August 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

Thanks!

Katie--I get cookie cutters in a variety of places. Michaels, online... I happened to find the high-heel shoe when I was browsing AC Moore one day.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP