Retire. Return. Repeat.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

OH, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.

I cannot believe I am talking about this guy. Again.

nfl_a_favre2_576 by you.
Photo Source: ESPN

Oh wait, yes I can. Because I predicted it.

I'm feeling the need to point you to this post from last year. And this one, too.

I honestly believe that Brett Favre is trashing his own legacy. Instead of being remembered as a great football player, he will be remembered as the guy who just couldn't let it go.

I'm annoyed at what this could mean for the future of football. How many more times are we going to see this? How many players will now pull "a Brett Favre" to get whatever they want?

Let's say you're a football player. You're not happy with the team you're on. So you pretend you're retiring. Then, just as a team is entering a new season, you create a media frenzy and pick a new team. Any team. But no... not just any team. Pick your old team's biggest rival. Yes, that oughta do it. And don't forget to somehow convince this new team to pay you $12 million a year.

I actually feel really sorry for his new Vikings teammates, who've all been in training camp for three weeks, busting their asses. Now, Brett Favre plops himself in the middle of it all and takes the attention away from everything and everyone else. Lovely. I feel especially sorry for the guys trying out to make the team as quarterbacks. He just effectively stole the dreams of some young kid who was hoping to make it (just as a third stringer!). Guess what? There's no longer space for that guy on the team.

I am just SO SICK of hearing about Brett Favre. I didn't think it was possible, but with this latest "coming out of retirement," he has officially surpassed Tom Brady on my NFL Shit List.

Congratulations, Brett. You now annoy me more than any other NFL personality. You should be proud. And good luck when you play at Lambeau Field, you schmuck.

13 comments:

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} August 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Preach it, sister. I've lost so much respect for him - he's pretty much killed the reputation he had if he had stayed retired in the first place. He just looks like an indecisive jerk now.

Rhiannon August 18, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

Amen! This is getting so flipping ridiculous it's not even funny. Does anyone even take him seriously anymore? And it's not like he's even still great! Grr...

Kari August 19, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

I love how they tried to make a big secret. "Ohhhhh Favre is talking to the Vikings...what's going to happen?" He's going to come out of retirement for the hundredth damn time. That's what.

Ugh.

P.S. I love your stance on football. Actually, even if I didn't agree, I still love the fact that you back your claim up with legitimate reasons. Most girls say, "Oh I love Tom Brady!! He's sooo hot!" Speaking of...can we talk about Tom Brady again??

jenn August 19, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

I wish he would stop making the WI news. Puke.
And I love Barnett's reaction at the end of this video.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4408091&categoryid=2459789

Tricia August 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

OMG so sick of this too! Just go away already!

Heather August 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

Kari,

Last time I dared to talk negatively about the NFL's Golden Boy (Tom Brady, naturally), I caught a LOT of flack for it. Like, "you're-a-horrible-person-and-going-to-hell" type flack. It got so bad I had to--for the first time EVER!--turn off the comments on my blog. All this even though I was KIDDING! (Sorta.)

So, needless to say, I'm not sure I'm going to be bitching about Tom Brady on an open forum again any time soon. I'll mention little digs here and there, but don't really want to revisit "The Brady Blog War of '08." I'll reserve my nastiest comments about him for the privacy of my own home, and for when I'm in the company of people who agree with me. 'Cause I'm EVIL like that. ;)

Anyway, that's not to say that OTHER people can't bitch about him here. So if you have something you want to get off your chest--go for it! You know I'll be "listening." HA!

Heather August 19, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Jenn--I thought those comments by Barnett were funny, too. Michael and I saw that on ESPN last night. I'd want to hit him, too!

Jen August 19, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

I couldn't agree with this statement any more: Instead of being remembered as a great football player, he will be remembered as the guy who just couldn't let it go.

So annoying.

Kari August 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Heather--I'm a Colts fan so you can imagine my hatred for Tom Brady. Aaaactually, I'm pretty sure Indiana as a whole can't stand him. Well, him and Phillip Rivers. *shakes fist*

It will be interesting to see how TO does in Buffalo this season. Hopefully he'll do better. Not a huge fan of him but I don't hate him either.

I read the blog about Tom Brady before. It took all I had not to say anything. But I knew once I started, I was't going to stop. So thus I will say to you, I AGREE!! :)

I will say, you wanna bitch about Tom Brady? Sweet! Indiana welcomes you! :)

Heather August 19, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

I've been a reader of your blog for a while... so first of all hi!

Secondly -- I am huge Packers fan... and what Favre is doing is absolutely ridiculous! I, even as a supportive fan, cannot believe the legacy he is leaving. His last year in Green Bay was AMAZING! But this "I'm retiring" BS... ugh!!! So tired of it! He was in Green Bay for so long, and now it's like he'll sell his soul!

And Tom Brady?! I live in New England and DESPISE the patriots! It was slightly amazing (as a sports fan, not as a human being) that he was out all last season! Unfortunately (again.. as a sports fan!) he is back this year... and the term "Captain America" was actually used to describe his first preseason game. I had to hold in the vomit!

Love your blog!

Chelsey August 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

Amen...again, as a Wisconsinite and a Packer fan...it's disgusting to see what he's done, but he's brought it upon himself.

He sucks on turf, and that's his home field this year. And when he comes to Lambeau...I cannot wait to watch that game!

Though I'm not a Ted Thompson fan, I am glad we stuck with the decision to move on prior to this retirement drama. When it comes down to it, with Rodgers, we're a solid team. It'll be interesting to see how the season unfolds now that Brett's back in the NFC North. I cannot believe he actually will be playing for the Minnesota Vikings. Good luck at 40 years old playing in the dead of winter in Chicago...ugh.

Gia August 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

I ALWAYS say, "For the love of all that is holy!" I swear!

Cheryl August 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

I may not be a good enough Vikings fan..but um, they have a QB last I checked? And trust me, AP is not gonna want a new QB, an OLD QB, at that. Ok, rant over.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP