Question & PSA: Blog Photos

Monday, August 24, 2009

I've had a couple of comments about problems seeing the photos on my blog. For one person, I know the cause. For the other, I don't. Because of this, I wanted to pose the question to all of you... is anyone having trouble viewing the photos on my blog, particularly over the past month or so?

If the answer is yes, I have to ask: Are you checking my blog at work? If so, is Flickr a blocked website? Because if it is, that's your cause. Unfortunately (but soooo fortunate for me), I'm now hosting my photos on Flickr.

With that, I'll move on to the PSA portion of this post.

I've heard many people complain about Blogger and it's horrendous photo uploading process. First of all, no mass uploader. Secondly, once uploaded, photos all end up at the top of the post, regardless of what you do. Third, it displaces text and makes the post spacing all wonky. In other words, IT SUCKS. That's right, Google... something you do actually SUCKS. Shocking, I know.

Anyway, last month, it was brought to my attention that there is a new, totally easy way to insert photos into your browser. This not only applies to blogs, but also to message boards, e-mails, etc. Want to insert a photo? It's as easy as dragging and dropping. Quite frankly, this discovery rocks my world. It is so awesome that I feel the need to share it with all of you. I'm actually sorry I've held out on you for this long. That's how great this is.

So, let's get started, shall we?

First, you have to host all of your photos somewhere. I know a bunch of bloggers that use Flickr, so I chose to go with that. But it's my understanding that this will work using Photobucket, Picasa, and other services, as well.

Once your photos are uploaded to Flickr, open a new browser window (or tab), and go to your blog (or message board, or whatever). Start a new post.

The nice thing about this method is that you can start typing, and insert a photo whenever you want. No more worrying about it messing up your text formatting. So write as little or as much as you want to. Ready to post photos?

Click back over to your open Flickr window. Go through your photostream, and "open" the photo you want to include in your post. By "open," I mean make sure you go to the page that actually displays the photo. Don't use the thumbnail from your main photostream page, as that will show up really small on your blog.

Then, click on the photo and hold down the mouse button. Drag the photo to your blog window or tab. Here's the thing, though... don't let the button go yet. Hover over the blog window or tab until the browser window opens, then continue to drag your photo until you are actually IN the text editor box. Then, let go. And... your photo will appear!

It's as simple as that. Drag and drop, people. Drag and drop.

You're welcome.

*curtsy*

16 comments:

Michelle MGD August 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

I feel like I owe you something for telling me about this on the nest earlier. It has seriously made blogging with pictures 10000000 times easier. I was going to give up putting pictures in my posts because uploading was such a PITA. You rock Heather!!!

Anne August 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

wow. I'm feeling really really incompetent for not knowing this... thanks for solving one of my pet peeves!!

Cheerful Homemaker August 24, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

Heather, this revelation blows my mind. Posting blogs with photos just got a zillion times easier.

Tricia August 25, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

Thanks for the tip! The blogger photo upload is sooo annoying! I'll try flickr next time!

Ewarwoowar August 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

Thought it was only me who suffered with this picture problem!

Massive kudos to you for the tip, thanks.

Rachel August 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Thank you SO much for this tip. I tend to avoid posting photos because of this issue! :)

Cheryl August 25, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Love the suggestion (although I don't blog enough to use it yet, haha...but I will! someday...) I can see pictures fine both at work and at home - but my work doesn't have much blocked to my knowledge, as it's just the university wireless network.

Jen August 25, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

I'm definitely going to try this. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Blogger's photo uploading sucks ;P

Ellen Mint August 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

The weird thing about the reformating of text, it only happens on IE. On firefox it works just fine.

Kari August 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

I. Owe. You.

I can actually start uploading wedding pictures now!!

P.S. Football is starting SOOOOOONNN!!!

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} August 26, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

Brilliant!

Its so easy to do too - no more rubbish formatting issues!

Thanks.

Mands @ Rhody Life August 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Hey Heather,

One of the bloggers that I follow has started doing photography on the side, and this week she had a great post with some tips on photography, and I thought you would like the info. Here's the link to her post: http://kipperphotography.blogspot.com/2009/08/photography-tips-and-secrets.html

Lyzz August 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Thanks for the tips! I've always find that inserting photo during blogging is what make blogging such a drag. Now there's a better way! Yay!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP