Will no one retire?

Friday, August 28, 2009

There's someone else who needs to learn to let go: Jay Leno.

I have NBC on my TV right now, and I couldn't help but notice the permanent "Jay Leno, Monday Sept. 14th" advertising on the lower left side of my screen. And I found myself asking, Does anyone really care?

I used to watch Leno sometimes when he was the host of The Tonight Show. I didn't think he was the best thing since sliced bread, but I also didn't really have any problem with him. But when it came time for him to retire, I was ready for him to retire. Plus, I really like Conan and I was looking forward to him taking the earlier spot (you know, so I could maybe watch him every once in a while).

When it was announced that Jay Leno would not only be coming back to TV, but coming back EVERY.DAMN.NIGHT.OF.THE.WEEK, during primetime no less, I found myself giving that idea a big ol' W-T-F. Because seriously. No one wants to watch Jay Leno every freaking weeknight at 10 p.m. I normally avoid speaking for everyoneontheplanet, but in this case, I think it's appropriate.

Bottom line: I give it until November sweeps, tops. Leno's a goner.

P.S. What is it with these people and not wanting to retire? If I had their money, I'd have retired at least 10 years ago. Too bad I can't strike a deal with them--They work, I'll play. Everyone wins.

4 comments:

Michelle MGD August 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

I am confused as to how his new show is going to be different than his old show. A evening talk show with a lot of the same "bits" from the tonight show most likely? Not interested. Jay Leno is not funny.

I went to a taping of The Tonight Show when I was in college. I actually was in the front section and he called me on stage before the taping started. He asked me what my major was and when I said Child Development, he turned to the other guy on the stage (who also went to my college) and said, are you developing a child with him?

That was the funniest thing he has ever said and it wasn't even that funny.

Molly August 29, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

Watching Conan as we speak...just had to say I completely agree with everything you said. Especially the part about working out my own retirement deal.

Amanda August 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

I actually think he didn't retire. My understanding was that he was still in contract, and NBC just wanted a younger guy to head the show. They offered him this new comedy hour as a compromise. I'm not toally sure about that, though.

Kari August 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

I know someone who retired!! BRUSCHI!! I for one am excited!! And since I know how much you LOVE the Patriots, I'm sure you'll be excited too!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP