Apple Pie Cupcakes

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Yesterday was my boss's birthday, and since I'm the resident baker around these parts, I volunteered to bring in a treat for everyone. I've already confessed my obsession with apples this week, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I wanted to incorporate them somehow. I hadn't visited Good Things Catered in a while, so I browsed around until I found these. Perfect!

These were a HUGE hit with all of my coworkers. As soon as I took the lid off of them, the room filled with the most wonderful apple and spice aroma. Smells just like fall! :)

IMG_1320rs by you.
As American as Apple Pie Cupcakes
(Source: Good Things Catered)

Ingredients:
1 c. plus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 pinch salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp spiced rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. apple, finely diced (about 1 large apple)

1/4 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 c. powdered sugar
(I tried to make this glaze recipe twice before realizing that there has to be a missing ingredient. I added about 1/4 cup of milk and whisked it all together, which gave it the consistency of an actual glaze. It worked out well and tasted amazing!)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, soda, powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
3. Whisk to combine thoroughly and break up all pieces of the brown sugar.
4. Add milk, oil, rum, and vanilla and stir until just incorporated.
5. Fold in apple until just incorporated.
6. Spoon into fill cupcakes liners about 3/4 way full, dividing evenly among all liners.
7. Bake in oven until cooked through, about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.
8. Meanwhile, make caramel glaze: In small saucepan combine brown sugar and butter over medium low heat.
9. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, stir in powdered sugar (and milk!) and glaze cupcakes before mixture cools.

Makes 12 (I only got 11. Definitely double the recipe if you need more than this!)
IMG_1321rs by you.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  September 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

They look perfect! So glad you liked them!!

Anonymous,  September 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Just made these today and they are yummy! I saw them on Good Things Catered awhile ago and am glad you reminded me of them. I might just use caramel sauce for the topping next time.

Kate September 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

I made the cupcake portion the other night and they look/smell AMAZING...am icing them tonight and taking them on a beach trip this weekend, I imagine they'll be a big hit!

ps. I made mine a little more diet friendly (subbed unsweetened applesauce for oil, used Promise Light instead of butter, split flour into 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup whole wheat)...still look/smell/prob taste amazing, but only 97 cals per cupcake. Not bad. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP