Just Keep Swimming

Sunday, September 13, 2009

When we went to San Francisco, I really wanted to go to the aquarium there. It's been years since I've been to one, and I just think that they are so neat. Well, when we got to the aquarium in San Francisco, it was closing. :( Poor planning on our part. Anyway, when one of you readers mentioned the aquarium in your recommendations, it was on our "maybe" list--something to do if we had enough time.

Well, with our flight not leaving until 2:20 p.m., we decided to get up a little extra early this morning so that we could get to the aquarium, spend a few hours there, and then head back to the hotel, pick up our stuff, and travel to the airport.

We got down to the aquarium right after it opened.

IMG_1968rs by you.
Admission was $24.95, which is a little bit expensive in my opinion, but when you consider how much time you could spend there, it's worth it. Plus, I can't imagine how much money they have to spend to care for the animals, acquire the animals, hire qualified staff, etc., so I think the cost is probably justified.

Anyway, we went right into the exhibits to make the most of our time there.
IMG_1970rs by you.
Turtles! I love turtles.
IMG_1977rs by you.
These guys were eating breakfast. It looked like a really nice fruit salad, actually.
IMG_1983rs by you.
Big ass fish.
IMG_1991rs by you.
This guy's eyes were really creepy.
IMG_1995rs by you.
Speaking of creepy... we thought this guy was fake. He wasn't.
IMG_1998rs by you.IMG_2019rs by you.
These fish have built-in bouffants. I like to call them Amy Winehouse fish.
IMG_2021rs by you.
Iguana
IMG_2024rs by you.
This frog was cracking me up. Check out how he was just hanging there!
IMG_2026rs by you.IMG_2033rs by you.
This guy has a "Penelope" nose.
IMG_2037rs by you.
This turtle was in a giant tank that was in the middle of one of the big halls. It had all sorts of fish in it, as well as sting rays, and even a few small sharks. Look at him! He was chillin' with his head between the branches of a plant. At first, I questioned whether he was even real, as he wasn't moving at all.
IMG_2078rs by you.
Really cool display of jellyfish. I think they're awesome as long as they're not swimming with me.
IMG_2047rs by you.
Dolphins from above.
IMG_2064rs by you.
Dolphins from below.
IMG_2073rs by you.
Beluga whales.

I didn't get any good pictures of them because they move so damn fast, but the penguins were so much fun. LOVE the penguins.
IMG_2104rs by you.IMG_2107rs by you.
Who can go to an aquarium without thinking about Nemo the whole time? Anyway, we found him.

A cute little side story... We were in an exhibit area where there were scuba divers in the tanks with the fish to feed them, clean the tanks, etc. This little girl standing next to me says to her father, "A diver, like in Nemo!" Her father responds, "Yes, but this is a nice diver." The little girl says, all serious, "Yeah, a nice diver. Nemo's diver was mean." :) Made me laugh.
IMG_2116rs by you.
We managed to make it through the whole aquarium in about two hours, and then we had to head out to get back to the hotel in time for checkout before getting on the train for the airport.
IMG_2121rs by you.
But of course, we had to take one last shot of the skyline (view from outside of Shedd Aquarium).

We had an absolutely wonderful time in Chicago. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a long weekend getaway... or even if you have longer to spend there. I'm sure you won't run out of things to do. I honestly think Chicago has surpassed NYC on my list of favorite cities. There's just something about Chicago that I like better, but I can't really put my finger on it. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Who knows... maybe next year!

4 comments:

Blessed with Boys September 15, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

So happy you had fun in Chicago! I LOVE that we only live a short drive away! And that silly frog at Shedd is ALWAYS like that, I swear! Every time I have been there hes been hanging out!

Cheerful Homemaker September 16, 2009 at 12:49 AM  

I love Chicago. I wish we could spend more time there. It's only about two hours from where I live.

When we went there for the first time, we were planning on visiting Shedd. Unfortunately, it was pouring down rain, so we ran to the closest building, which ended up being the Field Museum.

Katie September 16, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Your pictures are amazing, Heather! I have only bed to Shedd's one time and I would LOVE to go back!

Pie September 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Awesome pictures Heather!! Now you made me thinking of planning a trip to Chicago soon. Hope it is not getting too cold too soon.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP